disc clean up

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I did the disc clean up to get rid of the windows.old (twice)but it has still left the folder windows with EN-GB,
FONTS,SERVICING,SYSTEM32,SYSTEMAPPS AND WINSXS.These contain all the DLL's as i have already had to do a reinstall I don't wish to again so am I stuck with them there. So far all seems to be working so am I better off just leaving alone or is there a way to delete them?
very many thanks, in anticipation,
BRUNOS

Reaction score
In case you don't know......
Windows.old does not stay in your system for ever.
It is set to be removed automatically after 30 days of installation.

Reaction score
You will need to click the button "Clean up system files" to add "Windows.old" folder to the listings for removal.

clean-up-system-files.png

Reaction score
I would suppose so.
I always use Ccleaner to do disk cleanup, particularly for removing Windows.old. And Ccleaner always remove the entire Windows.old folder.
I never waited for 30 days.
So, I cannot tell you with absolute certainty without personal experience of the fact.
However, it is a known fact that windows.old will be removed automatically after 30 days. I did not make that one up.

Reaction score
I would suppose so.
I always use Ccleaner to do disk cleanup, particularly for removing Windows.old.
I never waited for 30 days.
So, I cannot tell you with absolute certainty without personal experience of the fact.
However, it is a known fact that windows.old will be removed automatically after 30 days. I did not make that one up.

Reaction score
thanks
one thing I perhaps did not make clear is that these dll's seem to belong to the windows 10 that
I have installed at the moment. would that be the reason they were not uninstalled? I did the disc clean up
and ticked for it to remove windows.old but the windows.old folder with these dll's in ihas been left behind.
i'm off the net now until about 1930 or so.
thanks all for the swift replies.
BRUNOS

Reaction score
HI again folks,
it is now over the 30 days and windows.old, tried disc clean-up ccleaner etc. with the enclosed folders ddl's etc. is still there
so any other ideas please, or do I just leave them.
Thanks again
BRUNOS

Reaction score
HI again folks,
it is now over the 30 days and windows.old, tried disc clean-up ccleaner etc. with the enclosed folders ddl's etc. is still there
so any other ideas please, or do I just leave them.
Thanks again
BRUNOS

Perhaps there are only the "left-overs" in the windows.old folder.
What is the size of the windows.old now ?
Open it and see how many items are inside.

I remember once I used CCleaner to delete windows.old and the end result was it was still there but with a small handful of files inside. Eventually it had disappeared.

Also, go to This PC and have a look at your C: drive ( your main drive ).
Do you notice you have a significant increase of FREE disk space comparing to what you had 30 days ago ?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Perhaps there are only the "left-overs" in the windows.old folder.
What is the size of the windows.old now ?
Open it and see how many items are inside.

I remember once I used CCleaner to delete windows.old and the end result was it was still there but with a small handful of files inside. Eventually it had disappeared.

Also, go to This PC and have a look at your C: drive ( your main drive ).
Do you notice you have a significant increase of FREE disk space comparing to what you had 30 days ago ?
Hi davidhk129
this is what's left

size-----------409 MB
contains-------1,361 Files, 636 Folders
mostly dlls and sys
BRUNOS

Ask a Question