Disk Errors

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Keep's coming up hard disk error, How do i run a check disk to look for these errors, Using Win 10 ,Thanks

Reaction score
Close all running programs. File explorer.. Right click on the disk with the errors. Click the tools tab. Click on The Chkdsk check the disk for errors.

Or go to a admin command prompt and type Chkdsk /F

Reaction score
best way is to run without Windows. There are test programs for HDD's out there from WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Samsung etc. Most of them are bootable. Get the appropriate Software for your drive and run it. Your HDD may be on the way into the Hardware Nirvana...

Reaction score
^^^ Quite right. But Chkdsk is already there and does work. A full test program for the brand of disk you have is better and will have other facilities, like being able to do a low level format and so on.

Reaction score
just to add my 2¢ - b4 u run chkdsk run TFC (Total File Cleaner from Bleeping Computer) it will clean out all your temp files and make chkdsk run faster - also good to use when doing a virus scan, saves scanning useless temp files. Also, today, there is no such thing as a low level format except for what is done during manufacturer. If the drive is seriously corrupt and you must wipe it, the best option is something like WDDIAG where you can write zeros to the drive. I just had to resort to SPINRITE6 to clean a problem with a drive that didn't clear with zeros.

Reaction score
Hi Guys, Thanks for the info, ruggb, Total file cleaner won't work on win 10, As i said earlier when i copy or move a folder to a different postion sometimes not all the time i get error message Can't move or copy the file maybe open in another program,if i wait approc 2 mins it will then copy, Thanks

P.S i am lost on what do do, if i reformat and start a new install lose me nero usage by 1 each time, they give you a limetime quarantee but only allowed to install or reinstall from back up 5 times,

Reaction score
Robert
Don't tell my system that TFC doesn't run in Windows 10. The issue is that it does not like to run from just any location. When it pops up the warning, if you X it out instead of replying to it, it runs fine. Also, if you place it on your desktop it won't bother you with the warning.
RE, the 'Open in another program" message. That is a W10 issue with File Explorer. It is a PITA that MS needs to fix. The OS sees the file as open in File Explorer, DUH! It is commonly associated with Thumbs files. Copy should work, but move won't because it must be deleted on a move. If you close FE and reopen it in another place then delete the folder you moved, it should work. You should also only see a thumbs file left in the folder if you look.

Last edited:

Ask a Question