SOLVED Display error during set up.

Reaction score
Display : The display is not compatible with Windows 10. Check with the manufacturer for support.

I'm getting this error when trying to install Windows 10 onto this machine. what is causing it exactly (is it my actual monitor or drivers or something else) and how can I get around it?

Thank you for the help.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suspect that the error is likely pointing to your display adapter (video card either add-on or integrated).
Do you happen to know which display adapter you have installed and which driver version you are using for it?

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suspect that the error is likely pointing to your display adapter (video card either add-on or integrated).
Do you happen to know which display adapter you have installed and which driver version you are using for it?

Thank you for the welcome.

Integrated most likely, Here I'll attach a full report from EVEREST Home Edition so you can go over the full specs of this machine I'm currently trying to get Windows 10 installed on, its a buddy of mines.

Their should be no other problems at least according to the upgrade assistant but if you do spot something let me know.

Attachments

• Report.txt
    259.1 KB · Views: 661

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
As best as I can tell from checking here
http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

It would appear that microsoft has both Windows 8.1 and later drivers as well as 10 drivers, they all seem to be of 8.15.10.2697 version looks like you're currently running 8.15.10.1825 which is probably the proper version for Windows 7.
So I would expect you wouldn't have an issue

So its just an outdated Intel driver? well thats good. so me updating to 8.15.10.2697 version will fix this?!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That may not be possible.
That particular driver may not be an installable option for Windows 7, but I would expect that you could download it in advance and have it available, although it is likely that Windows 10 updates will install it shortly after the upgrade is complete.

Reaction score
That may not be possible.
That particular driver may not be an installable option for Windows 7, but I would expect that you could download it in advance and have it available, although it is likely that Windows 10 updates will install it shortly after the upgrade is complete.

Alright so how do I get past this display error then? I can't continue the install without the driver but the driver can't be installed on windows 7.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good question.
I think what some if not most people have done as a form of work around to that problem is to obtain the installation media and burn it to a DVD or USB ThumbDrive and perform the upgrade by running Setup.exe from that media from within their current Windows 7 install. I'm not sure why this would work, other than perhaps it circumvents the download tool all together and maybe the system check is not quiet as zealous.... IDK.
AND
I didn't say that the driver couldn't be installed on Windows 7, I was just assuming that because that particular version was indicating that it was for Windows 8 / 8.1 or later that perhaps it was so OS specific that it would not install on Windows 7.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Choose Windows 10, the first item in the first drop down (not single language at the bottom)
Next choose your language and your bit version (32 or 64 bit to match your system architecture or in the case of an upgrade, to match your currently installed version of Windows).
That will provide an ISO that will upgrade, repair (or clean install) either or both Windows 10 Pro and Home.
Once you have downloaded the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download
OR
Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive http://rufus.akeo.ie/
When you've created the installation media then you simply launch setup.exe from the media from within your current version of Windows to perform the in-place upgrade.

IF that doesn't work then I can only assume that the people who have that particular video adapter installed must have gone the custom clean install route.
I'm pretty sure we've had other members who've managed the install with that GPU, I was kinda hoping that one or more of them might see this thread and perhaps have something of interest to contribute.

Whatever you decide or however you proceed, I strongly recommend backing up all critical data to an external resource as well as making a disk image of the current install just to be on the safe side.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
Happy to report that your alt. method worked, the .ISO method bypassed the display error and I was able to get Windows 10 fully installed.

Thank you for the help! but that was a strange error, probably something microsoft should document.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
All's well that ends well I suppose.
Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue.
Thanks for the follow-up
Much appreciated.

Reaction score
FYI - I experienced this error when trying to upgrade two brand new Lenovo computers. It turned out to be the remote access software, LogMeIn, I had installed. Uninstalled the software and the software client, then uninstalled & deleted the LogMeIn display adapter. Rebooted and I was then allowed to upgrade to Windows 10.

Reaction score
SOLVED in my case as follows:

In the Device Manage/Display Adapetrs (Win7: Start -> Computer -> Properties -> Device Manager -> Display Adapters) I had had a VNC display adapter. Once uninstalled, I could to continue with the upgrade.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seneca and Mita Lapo thanks to you both for sharing your experiences.
That's two votes for third party remote access software? Very interesting and much appreciated.

Ask a Question