Doesn't work: "Sign in with Microsoft account instead"

Reaction score
Hi,
I am trying to change my son's local account to use his Microsoft account. I am logged in as him and on the "Your email and accounts" page in settings.

I click "Sign in with Microsoft account instead" and it asks for the details, I enter his MS account details, jump to next screen, type in his current local account password and hit Next and I get the error;
"Oops, something went wrong ; Whatever happened, it was probably our fault. Please try again"

However no amount of attempts seem to work...
The MS account is live and healthy, we can login to it in a browser and on Xbox.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only time that I've actually seen this happen is when there is another account on the computer that had been previously associated with the same MS account.
Does anything like that exist on the current computer?

Reaction score
I'm having almost the same problem. I upgraded to Window's 10 and after doing so I am trying to use the Sign in with a Microsoft Account instead. I enter my email and password on the first screen and advance to the next screen but it will not accept my password. My passwords are correct as I can sign in online to my Microsoft account and I am the only user on this laptop. I've spent over 10 hours connected to Microsoft Chat Support who took control of my computer and they can't figure it out. They tried using different password and testing account changes, but it doesn't work. I've pretty well given upon this, but because of it I can't access the App Store.

Reaction score
You folks are scaring me so badly I am afraid to even try signing into a Microsoft Account since I have seen the situation before.

Check the descriptions on your system to see if they vary from the attachment. Have you tried signing into the Store then using that account page to sign into a Microsoft Account. I suppose Trouble's comments on multiple computers could be involved or possibly some version of being signed into to some components prior to the overall account.

Account.JPG

Reaction score
SOLVED:
I went onto my MS account online and removed my son's account from the family child.
Logged in locally with my son's local account.
Clicked on the "Sign in with Microsoft account instead" (Note I had to wait a while before this worked)
Signed in using his MS account.
Re-added my son's MS account as a child in the Family.

So the cause was because his MS account was already linked as a child in the Family so he couldn't use it to login from his local account.

Ask a Question