SOLVED Downgrade back to W7, big issue.

Reaction score
Upgraded my Toshiba Laptop to Windows 10 last night, but it couldn't find my Wifi adapter and I'm not one to go finding it myself and fix it, so I downgraded as the option is available for one month in the Update & Security folder in the Control Panel. Well... Did that. Now my computer will not start. Gets to the screen of "Starting..." And then goes to the window saying "Your computer was unable to start" and starts Startup Repair and it always ends up saying it couldn't fix it automatically. Wth do I do :( I backed up awhile ago too so my most recent things are not backed up, I know I'm stupid.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I know I'm stupid.
NO...... not at all. That should have went without a problem.
As a matter of fact, I just did one remotely through LogMeIn and when it came backup on my LogMeIn account, it was running Windows 7 and everything was as it was before.

Now.... regarding your critical data, especially the stuff you don't have currently backed up.
You can always use a Linux Distro Live CD to boot your machine and copy off your critical data to an external resource.
I personally like Mint MATE http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=191
I find it more friendly to Windows Users.
Others seem to prefer Ubuntu http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
Choose your flavor.... pick 32 bit version from the drop down if you're not sure.

Once you have the ISO of your choosing, then you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive.

Be careful and do not click the install icon on the Linux desktop. Just use the Live CD environment to copy off your files.

Reaction score
Lol nice name XD Trouble
No really though thank you!! Fortunately though I found some odd way of copying and pasting file folders onto my external drive. Once I get it all though, I'm unsure of how to "reload" the OS. Or whatever it is I need to do to get the thing to load Windows 7 completely and correctly.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Gets to the screen of "Starting..." And then goes to the window saying "Your computer was unable to start"
Can you tell by the screens, does it appear to be Windows 7 that is unable to "Start" or does it appear to be Windows 10 still??

Reaction score
Definitely Windows 7, start screen and all "themed" boot up screens appear as Windows 7 did not 10.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So how many times have you sat through the Start Up Repair screens? More than 3?
if so then you might try manually fixing things and see if that helps.
You need to start from the Windows 7 installation media and on the first screen where you have the Repair Link option, select it and then use the advanced trouble shooting options to open a command prompt.
Type
Bootrec.exe /fixmbr
hit enter
any prompts answer in the affirmative
the type
Bootrec.exe /fixboot
hit enter
again, any prompts answer in the affirmative
then type
Bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
hit enter.
SOURCE: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Reaction score
Okay Trouble thanks! Yes sat through the screen around 10x+. I'll do this tomorrow, seeing as how I've just finished up backing up my files now. I'll reply once I've tried this.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
fingers crossed.
There are a few other Advanced Troubleshooting options you might also try, although I'm not sure they would work in your computer's current state, but.....
If somehow a restore point survived through the upgrade and the down-grade, that pre-dates both, it might set your registry right again if that is the issue.

Reaction score
Fixmbr: Operation completed successfully
Fixboot: The volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.
Rebuildbcd: Scanning all disks for windows installation. Successfully scanned Windows installations. Total identified Windows installations: 0. The operation completed successfully.

Doesn't sound good :( now what.

Reaction score
Running Toshiba Recovery Wizard right now, in attempt to save files and recover. Will update soon.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Aaahhhhhh!
I love it when a plan comes together.
Even if it is "Plan B".

Ask a Question