SOLVED Downgrade Windows 10

Reaction score
Straight to the point: How can I downgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 8 (preinstalled on purchase, upgraded to 8.1)??

Just to clarify:

- I didn't make any backup, restore image or anything like that.
- Windows 8 was preinstalled, so I don't have any DVD.

I have tried på download Win 8.1, copy it to a USB drive and boot it, but didn't work.
I used this tutorial: http://getintopc.com/tutorials/windows-8-usb-installation-tutorial-with-screenshots/ )

If you have any other tip or tutorial, bring it up!

Just ask question!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In most cases when Windows 8 comes preinstalled on a computer, the computer manufacturer provides a system recovery partition (often hidden) on the computer's hard drive.
Not knowing anything about what system we're talking about here, or how you came to install Windows 10 Technical Preview, but assuming you didn't first completely wipe out the entire drive and all existing partitions you may be able to recover your computer to it's factory settings using that partition and whatever key combination at boot might be described in either your user manual, computer documentation, or computer manufacturer's website.
Outside of that your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer or retail vendor for recovery media.

Reaction score
In most cases when Windows 8 comes preinstalled on a computer, the computer manufacturer provides a system recovery partition (often hidden) on the computer's hard drive.
Not knowing anything about what system we're talking about here, or how you came to install Windows 10 Technical Preview, but assuming you didn't first completely wipe out the entire drive and all existing partitions you may be able to recover your computer to it's factory settings using that partition and whatever key combination at boot might be described in either your user manual, computer documentation, or computer manufacturer's website.
Outside of that your best bet would be to contact the manufacturer or retail vendor for recovery media.
I did actually wipe the entire drive when I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview.
I'm gonna contact Microsoft tomorrow, hope that will help and they can give me a recovery media.

Thanks!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan and if it is a Microsoft device like a Surface they may indeed provide you with some viable options for recovery.
Otherwise they'll likely tell you what I've already stated.
Contact the computer manufacturer like Dell, or HP, or ASUS, or Toshiba or
failing that contact whomever you purchased it from (insert Big Box Store name here).

w10

Reaction score
I did actually wipe the entire drive when I installed Windows 10 Technical Preview.
I'm gonna contact Microsoft tomorrow, hope that will help and they can give me a recovery media.

Thanks!

All great observations and advice from Trouble BTW. Also there is a lesson to be learned here. Anyone contemplating a clean install of Windows 10 should consider creating a full system recovery image beforehand. Based on my own experience, I can tell you that Macrium Reflect Free will do the job nicely. This will avoid any need to contact the manufacturer for recovery discs. Moreover, you most likely will have to pay for them. Also, many manufacturers give you the option to create these recovery discs during the initial setup stages. Anyone given that option should take full advantage of the opportunity to do so.

Reaction score
Undoubtably, I have sympathy for HU5um. But, it is happening a lot, from posts I read. There have been so many warnings on sites against the practice of just crashing in regardless.. I have no idea from where Hu5um obtained his download, but, on Microsofts own page,
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-iso
it has this:
You'll need a third-party program to convert the ISO file into installable media—DVD burning software often includes this capability.
Remember, trying out an early build like this can be risky. That's why we recommend that you don't install the preview on your primary home or business PC. Unexpected PC crashes could damage or even delete your files, so you should back up everything.
If you want to stop using Windows Technical Preview and return to your previous version of Windows, you'll need to reinstall your previous version from the recovery or installation media that came with your PC—typically a DVD. If you don't have recovery media, you might be able to create recovery media from a recovery partition on your PC using software provided by your PC manufacturer. You'll need to do this before you upgrade. Check the support section of your PC manufacturer's website for more info.
After you install Windows Technical Preview, you won’t be able to use the recovery partition on your PC to go back to your previous version of Windows.

Reaction score
Yeah, I made a mistake installing it. Fresh install of Win 7, possibly from a recovery point or...? I guess I got it answered a couple o posts back.

Ask a Question