Download Of Windows 10 Running Forever

Reaction score
my windows 10 download is running now for over a day on wifi and it has not completed and i want to know if i can stop it and start again after i plug into the router directly (hard wired) without hurting anything. As an aside, it would be nice if there was some sort of progress indicator for the download so one would have some sort of a clue how far along it is. Thanks for the help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
What Windows 10 download? The operating system or a Windows 10 Update / Upgrade (as in November 1511 10586 upgrade).
What source are you using to download from?
Yes., you should be able to stop any download without harm, if it hasn't actually started the upgrade / update process and is still only downloading.
IF....
You are talking about the Windows 10 installation media try this resource to obtain the ISO
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Generally speaking most browsers will provide some indication of the percentage process of the download as it is happening. IE should show progress along the bottom after you choose Save As and save it to a folder on your computer.

Reaction score
I have had your problem on two different PCs, the second no later than today on my neighbour's laptop when it reported downloading Windows 10 but nothing actually happened. Today we were on Wi-Fi when it happened so transferred to a wired to router setup and then the download did start properly and, by the way, you do then get an indication of progress showing in percentage terms.
Best of luck,
Martin.

Reaction score
I have had your problem on two different PCs, the second no later than today on my neighbour's laptop when it reported downloading Windows 10 but nothing actually happened. Today we were on Wi-Fi when it happened so transferred to a wired to router setup and then the download did start properly and, by the way, you do then get an indication of progress showing in percentage terms.
Best of luck,
Martin.
I tried to intall Win10 on my wife's laptop from a wifi connection and it did the same thing -- said it would start download of Windows 10 and then allow upgrade from Win 7 Home Premium.
The options were "Upgrade now" or "Upgrade later, setting time and date"
I used upgrade now and a screen came on saying download was starting. A gif showing circle of dots running and nothing else ... no status bar or messages. I let it run 11 hours (overnight and this morning) and finally closed the Loading Windows 10 window. There was nothing in downloads folder or in the system folders. It's just stuck.
How do I make her laptop connection to router so that this user got the Windows 10 download to work? I had upgraded to window 10 on my desktop a month or so ago and everything just work fine. This was in my response to "invitation" to upgrade to Windows 10 from a microsoft notification. I thought it came through Auto update, but my wife has that on her laptop and no such invitation was received.
She will not spring for $120 Windows 10, we are not buying a new laptop, and only the "free" upgrade is an option.
Other posts have solutions that give suggestions like downloading an ISO, whatever that is, and doing images, restores, and backups of systems that I have no knowledge of. Am I stuck to leave her laptop with Win 7? It has worked great for years and she has no desire to struggle with Windows 10 any longer.
Suggestions?
Gary

Reaction score
Hi Gary, I am not really sure what you are asking but, if you want to know how to connect the laptop to the router, then you require an Ethernet (RJ45) cable, one end plugged into the router, the other into the laptop. Hopefully it will work for you as it did for me the other day, fingers crossed.
That said, if you were to leave the laptop as a Windows 7 machine, I don't think it would be the end of the world as it is a very good OS, the only problem perhaps being that Microsoft are threatening to stop supporting it earlier than they normally would have.
Whichever way you decide to go, best of luck.
Martin.

Reaction score
Thank you for a straight forward answer. I'm still not sure, but does this mean there is no password barrier and other numbers, serials, Microsoft codes, or other stuff to enter? The Windows 7 on the laptop was a legal installation, but I don't really know any other information about it. Probably it is in the software someplace.
The router has several places to plug into (one has a cable from my computer) but I don't even know if I have to remove mine to put in hers, or if we can both plug in. And I'm not sure where the cable plugs into my computer, but I'm hoping it's a USB port; there are still several left open. Anyway, she is telling me now not to do anything, she's happy with her laptop the way it is, etc. She is comfortable, but I like Windows 10 a lot, even Edge although I can't run Roboform on it. I still have Crome installed to get to my passwords to various web sites. Although, I saw an article in a Forum that I could save my Roboform login screen as a Favorite and call it up from Windows 10 whenever I need it. This is instead of making it a Plug In, or whatever.
I appreciate your taking the time to answer me ... it sounds like worth a try. Now tell me how I can convince my wife to let me "borrow" her laptop to bring it up to my router....
Gary

Reaction score
You do not have to disconnect your PC from the router to connect your wife's, just plug both in at the same time. You do not plug into the router via USB, there will be an RJ45 socket somewhere on the laptop and, in fact, most routers have four. If your wife's PC is running a legitimate copy of Windows 7, and I am not suggesting for a second that it is not, then there is no reason for it not upgrading to Windows 10 other, of course, than some technicality - personally, I have been involved with upgrading three PCs, I know I mentioned two before, and not one did it without problems and, when you get problems, you just need to go looking for answers until you get there - worked for me anyway. At this point, I should stress to you that I am no expert, just someone who is happy to try to find the relevant answers.
I must say I do not use Roboform, Chrome or Edge so can offer no assistance there.
And finally, I do not know your wife and can definitely offer no assistance there. :rolleyes:
Martin.

Reaction score
I've a similar problem as glennmcp. I downloaded 10 last July, intending to install it this summer, I'm happy to continue with 7 till then. But I may stick with 7 and delete 10, as the updates are a nightmare!
I've an Advent laptop, with 2GB of ram, which does everything I want perfectly, except updates for 10. MS assure my PC can handle 10, but updates slow it to a crawl for up to 3 hours, and again the next time I turn it on immediately after each update. The internet becomes slower than dial up, and all software takes 4 to 5 minutes to load. I can't continue to put up with this, so is there a solution? If not I'll have to delete 10, which is a pity. In time software makers will provide new features that can only be used with 10, and I wouldn't like to miss out on that, but I can't tolerate this twice weekly slow down.

Reaction score
I've a similar problem as glennmcp. I downloaded 10 last July, intending to install it this summer, I'm happy to continue with 7 till then. But I may stick with 7 and delete 10, as the updates are a nightmare!
I've an Advent laptop, with 2GB of ram, which does everything I want perfectly, except updates for 10. MS assure my PC can handle 10, but updates slow it to a crawl for up to 3 hours, and again the next time I turn it on immediately after each update. The internet becomes slower than dial up, and all software takes 4 to 5 minutes to load. I can't continue to put up with this, so is there a solution? If not I'll have to delete 10, which is a pity. In time software makers will provide new features that can only be used with 10, and I wouldn't like to miss out on that, but I can't tolerate this twice weekly slow down.
I'm sorry, personally I have no idea as to what your problem is, nor how to go about fixing it. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than yours truly will come along soon with some good advice.
Best of luck,
Martin.

Reaction score
You do not have to disconnect your PC from the router to connect your wife's, just plug both in at the same time. You do not plug into the router via USB, there will be an RJ45 socket somewhere on the laptop and, in fact, most routers have four. If your wife's PC is running a legitimate copy of Windows 7, and I am not suggesting for a second that it is not, then there is no reason for it not upgrading to Windows 10 other, of course, than some technicality - personally, I have been involved with upgrading three PCs, I know I mentioned two before, and not one did it without problems and, when you get problems, you just need to go looking for answers until you get there - worked for me anyway. At this point, I should stress to you that I am no expert, just someone who is happy to try to find the relevant answers.
I must say I do not use Roboform, Chrome or Edge so can offer no assistance there.
And finally, I do not know your wife and can definitely offer no assistance there. :rolleyes:
Martin.
Okay! I have the laptop next to my desktop. I plugged a cable from the laptop internet connection (it only has one) into the router, internet connection 1 (it has four). I load in IE11 on the laptop, call for windows 10 upgrade, get to same initial screen I had before, click upgrade, get screen saying upgrade now or schedule for later, click upgrade now, get screen saying I'm about to make my computer very happy, click restart and upgrade, it downloads an app that I presume will run an install of some sort, I save it and then run it. The screen "Get Windows 10" apprears. Screen has windows 10 picture on it and says "Starting download ..." followed by "Once download is complete, you can start the upgrade, or schedule it for later." This has the circular dots running. There is no restart having been done, there is no progress meter, and this is the same screen I had left running for 11 hours once before.
It looks like it is still running on wifi, even though it is now physically connected to the router.
My PC is connected physically to the modem that is connected to my service provides cable.
During all this, I lost internet connectivity. I recycled the router and I have my internet back again, seems normal.
Do I just let this Get Windows 10 screen run forever again? Am I running directly to the providers connection or am I still using wifi? My wife's IE11 browser now fails to load sites with a message that IE has failed and cannot load sites. It is being run as administrator and now allows loading the home page, but will not load others, e.g. Facebook. I'm going downhill backwards at this point.
Any more ideas, other than buying a new computer with Windows 10 already installed?
Thanks once again. You are the only thing keeping me calm at this point.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
For your wife's computer, she may need to shut down and restart.
When you lost your internet connectivity she may have a bad IP address.
You could do an ipconfig /release and renew but it would probably be easier to just shut it down and restart it.

For yours I have already suggested in my post above to obtain the ISO and use that to create a local installation source (so if you loose your internet again the upgrade will not be impacted).
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to perform the "local" in-place upgrade by simply double clicking setup.exe on that media from within your current Windows installation.

Reaction score
Gary, I agree with Trouble, your best bet would be to download the ISO image and perform the upgrade that way. From a previous response of yours I realise that you have no idea as to what an ISO image is, so have a look at this link which will enlighten you.
Martin.

Reaction score
Gary, I agree with Trouble, your best bet would be to download the ISO image and perform the upgrade that way. From a previous response of yours I realise that you have no idea as to what an ISO image is, so have a look at this link which will enlighten you.
Martin.
I am fascinated at all the information I'm piling up ... now ISO files! Well, I am currently downloading an ISO file that says it is Windows 10, so when it finishes I'm off to find ImgBurn and work on making a DVD of that file. If that goes, then I'm running it on my wife's laptop to see what happens. Meanwhile, her system can't seem to run IE at all, throwing a message of saying IE has stopped working. If I run IE as administrator the home page loads ok, but any attempt to move to another site or window brings up the same error. Her IE seems dead in the water. I just now gat the ISO file window on her laptop and I checked update on this PC and ZOWEE, The Windows 10 Setup window popped up and after I accepted the Terms it is Downloading Windows 10 on her machine. I am guessing that it is downloading the ISO file since the window looks like the one I have on my desktop as I am downloading the ISO file. My next guess is that I will be able to run an upgrade on her machine using that ISO file ... if it comes in. It's at 10% now.
You hae been quite patient with me, and I thank you very much. If this works she will also be out from under the IE failure as well as I have been using Edge and I think she will like it also. So, perhaps IE is a dead issue.
Still, I'd like to get it fixed for emergencies. I also plan to install Chrome on her machine as a backup. I'm very please with it since I can run the add in (of whatever it's called) for Roboform on it. Someday Roboform will run on Edge, I'm sure.
Thank you again. I'll report back if I ever get Windows 10 on her laptop. This ISO thing is brilliant.

Reaction score
I am fascinated at all the information I'm piling up ... now ISO files! Well, I am currently downloading an ISO file that says it is Windows 10, so when it finishes I'm off to find ImgBurn and work on making a DVD of that file. If that goes, then I'm running it on my wife's laptop to see what happens. Meanwhile, her system can't seem to run IE at all, throwing a message of saying IE has stopped working. If I run IE as administrator the home page loads ok, but any attempt to move to another site or window brings up the same error. Her IE seems dead in the water. I just now gat the ISO file window on her laptop and I checked update on this PC and ZOWEE, The Windows 10 Setup window popped up and after I accepted the Terms it is Downloading Windows 10 on her machine. I am guessing that it is downloading the ISO file since the window looks like the one I have on my desktop as I am downloading the ISO file. My next guess is that I will be able to run an upgrade on her machine using that ISO file ... if it comes in. It's at 10% now.
You hae been quite patient with me, and I thank you very much. If this works she will also be out from under the IE failure as well as I have been using Edge and I think she will like it also. So, perhaps IE is a dead issue.
Still, I'd like to get it fixed for emergencies. I also plan to install Chrome on her machine as a backup. I'm very please with it since I can run the add in (of whatever it's called) for Roboform on it. Someday Roboform will run on Edge, I'm sure.
Thank you again. I'll report back if I ever get Windows 10 on her laptop. This ISO thing is brilliant.
Well, I have ISO disk in hand. It turned out the final step was to burn the disk. Very complete service.
On the laptop side, the whole download seems to have worked and now the window is "Getting updates" although I'm not sure of updates to what. I hope it is simple progressing to installing an update to Win 7 and resulting in windows 10. This would be an ideal outcome to a trying set of incidents during my attempt to accept windows 10. I was away watching Downton Abbey, and I'm not sure what's going on there either, so the evening is filled with tension.
One last report I hope will be my last.

Reaction score
Well Gary, let's hope that all goes well with the Windows 10 update and, I must say, it certainly sounds like you are well on the way. I look forward to reading your next post saying that it has completed successfully.
One other suggestion I would make is that you consider downloading and installing the Firefox Browser. I have been using it for many years now and personally find it much better than IE and Edge and all others - if nothing else, it is worth a look.
Martin.

Reaction score
Well Gary, let's hope that all goes well with the Windows 10 update and, I must say, it certainly sounds like you are well on the way. I look forward to reading your next post saying that it has completed successfully.
One other suggestion I would make is that you consider downloading and installing the Firefox Browser. I have been using it for many years now and personally find it much better than IE and Edge and all others - if nothing else, it is worth a look.
Martin.
Well, here we go again.
After the update got running on the laptop I went to wash some dishes from a party. An hour later I came back and found the laptop turned off. I rebooted. The Windows logo came on, then the logon screen with the time, date, and the scene of the cove (the default I guess). I clicked it and a welcome screen came up with my wife's name and a default icon. I clicked the icon. Then the screen went blank and the disk in use light came on a lot, for long periods of time (4-7 seconds), then it went back to random blinking of one sort and another, and did this for about 2 hours. I went to bed. In the morning the laptop was off. I turned it on, got the welcome screen, clicked the icon for the user (my wife) and then nothing again, just like the night before. A desktop has never appeared. The machine is useless at this point since I can't even get in to rerun the update or get e-mail. I changed the boot to the CD-DVD, but that did nothing different, except now I don't get the cove picture and the signon screen either. Just blank and disk doing something. I can intercept to change boot options and setup, but I can't imagine what to do to get an entry point where I could run the upgrade again. No desktop, no user interface!
Is there a way to get to the disk with a computer that isn't booting up to "basic" operating system?
This just gets better and better.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have any peripherals connect to the laptop?
Any USB devices, especially any that might support wireless devices or Bluetooth (mouse, keyboard or network adapter)?

Reaction score
At this point, I am going to leave you in the hands of Trouble who, I reckon, is much better suited to helping you than yours truly, although I shall keep an eye on the thread and hopefully hear of a happy conclusion - fingers crossed!
Martin.

Reaction score
Do you have any peripherals connect to the laptop?
Any USB devices, especially any that might support wireless devices or Bluetooth (mouse, keyboard or network adapter)?
No. there is nothing on this compute other than what is built into it. I have it connected to the router with a wire. With that wire gone, the computer will not boot. The sequence is: start computer. Get Windows 10 icon. Get blank screen and disk light blinking, forever (well, up to 4 hours now). Turn off computer. Start computer. Using F2 bring up setup utility. Set boot to CD/DVD drive. F10 to Save. Exc to Exit. Computer automatically restarts. Get Windows 10 icon with circle dots running. Blank screen with circle of dots running. Blank screen with disk light blinking.
I had taken the ISO disk out earlier and looked at it on the desktop. It had some files and an exe that I ran. It started the upgrade/install sequence. At the third step I could cancel it. This is the disk I have in the laptop now. It doesn't seem to load or reboot. I have not seen a screen on the laptop since the "update" completed so that I can do anything with this computer. How can I get some kind of screen where I can run that exe, or get a system to start that I can do anything with? I don't get it. I guess I lose and the computer wins. I don't know enough to jiggle it into action. Any help?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds like something definitely went wrong with the upgrade, but.....
Believe it or not I've actually heard some people disconnecting their laptop from external AC power and that seemed to let the upgrade finish. I don't know why and it is just anecdotal I have no documentation to point you towards, so.... give that a try and see if anything changes.
Then...... failing that. Just let it run overnight. The fact that the hard disk activity light is flashing would indicate to me that something is still going on.
I personally had a recent instance where and upgrade went bad on a friends laptop and the whole recovery process (diagnosing and repair) all of which was more or less automatic as I didn't have anything to say about it......
Took over 8 hours to finish. Depending on the specs of the laptop it could take more or less time.
Sometimes patience is the best approach, trying though it may be.

Ask a Question