DPC Watchdog Violation (0x00000133)

Reaction score
With all the updates that Microsoft provided during May and early June, I never had a problem with the Blue Error Screen (DPC Watchdog Violation). I went on the internet to see what steps to take and I did the following: 1) updated SATA AHCI Controller driver and other drivers using a third party (ones that Microsoft had provided, in some cases were incorrect or out of date). I even tried to update the firmware for the hard drive, which has a date from 2006, but was not able to do so. I was able to obtain a number (not sure if it is model or serial number) that started with ST, which I assume is Seagate Technologies ( can provide this if needed). I could not find any such number on their website. 2) Performed a disk check (chkdsk) which found no problems with the hard drive. (3 Ran the Event Viewer for Errors to see when this problem first started. The earliest (Bug Check) appears to be June 1. I get DPC Watchdog Violation on the Blue Screen and the error code comes up 0x00000133 as the first code in the System Log. 4) I tried to remove all the updates around the June 1 date, but the last major update from Microsoft could not be removed. When I did, I got a red urgent message stating that these update were essential and had to be reinstalled.

I have not checked software compatibility, but did have a problem with a game that I played online and which leaves some info on the file on the hard drive that allows me to log onto the game and pick up where I left off. I had problems with parts of the game freezing for 5-7 seconds every time I played. I contacted the company that provides the game, but they were unable to fix this and I don't know if that is causing the Blue Screen, but does not happen while playing the game or anytime shortly thereafter. I have not installed any new hardware, so there does not appear to be a hardware compatibility problem.

Can you suggest or recommend any other actions to take to resolve this issue?

Reaction score
I had signed up with Driver Easy prior to providing this review and although I was still getting the Blue Screen, but not as often, I contacted them for support. They replied back to me this morning and notified me that the problem appeared to be with the Nvidia video card that is on my computer. They provided an update to their system. However, since I had already signed up with Nvidia, I received an update yesterday, which I downloaded and installed. I had no further blue Blue Screen issues all day yesterday (6/10). I also ran Driver Easy and found that all drivers on my computer were up to date. So it appears that the issue has been solved.

Reaction score
Driver Easy might well be your problem. Third party driver search and install tools are best avoided TBH. DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION happens because a deferred procedure call (DPC) or an interrupt service routine (ISR) ran for too long. ISRs are how drivers handle the front end of a device interrupt and a DPC is how drivers handle the back end. This BSOD is thus almost always a driver problem. I note that you've been advised it may be the Nvidia graphics driver (nvlddmkm.sys) and that it often the cause of BSODs.

That BSOD should have written a kernel dump file, if the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp exists then upload it to the cloud somewhere with a link to it here (it will be too big to upload directly to here).

Ask a Question