DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Blue Screen Error

Reaction score
I've been having an on going issue where I come home to find my computer has randomly restarted itself with little to no knowledge as to why. Today I just happened to be by my computer while this was going on, and a blue error screen came up with the error code DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

Upon researching this issue, I found out it has to do with an outdated driver that is not compatible with Windows 10. I followed steps to replace the driver (iastor.sys) with an updated driver (storahci.sys). Most of the articles I read outlined this as the cause. When I checked device manager, I already had the updated driver, storahci.sys. But this keeps happening.

Any idea how I can remedy this error? I have a media server running on this machine, and do not wish to have it offline if my computer is constantly restarting.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
First make sure your machine is configured properly to facilitate the collection of .dmp files.
Go to Start and type in sysdm.cpl and press Enter
Click on the Advanced tab
Click on the Startup and Recovery Settings button
Ensure that Automatically restart is unchecked That will prevent you computer from automatically rebooting so you can see the error. Go back and re-check it if you would rather it auto-reboot.
Under the Write Debugging Information header select Small memory dump (256 kB) in the dropdown box
Ensure that the Small Dump Directory is listed as %systemroot%\Minidump << where your .dmp files can be
found later.
Click OK twice to exit the dialogs, then reboot for the changes to take effect.
That should provide some dump file inside C:\Windows\Minidump folder
Copy those .dmp files to another folder on your computer. Zip that folder up and attach it to your next post.
Someone may have the opportunity to look at the dump files and see if any particular driver is identified.

Reaction score
I changed the dump directory, but left it as automatically restart, as my in-laws use this machine as well and don't know how to restart it manually. So long as I can copy the dump files to this thread, I can leave it as auto-restart right? I can also just make my profile auto-login to my profile when it restarts so my profile is always running.

Ask a Question