SOLVED Drive partition suddenly shows as "RAW" instead of "NTFS" ?

Reaction score
I have 3 hard drives installed. Today, after a reboot, my Windows 10 computer splashed a blue screen saying it had to fix a problem with my J: drive partition. Now my J: drive shows up as blank (with no drive name) in File Explorer and the file type shows up as "RAW" in the Drive Management tool when it used to be "NTFS". (See the attachment.)

In Windows Settings - System - Storage, the J: drive no longer appears either. It no longer appears on the list when I run "Optimize Drives."

I've never set up a Storage Space / Pool on my computer.

So have I lost the data on this drive for good? Or did something get corrupted that may be repairable? I'm almost afraid to reboot for fear of losing more partitions.

Attachments

• J Drive.jpg
    J Drive.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 93
Reaction score
For anyone interested in this thread, I was able to recover the files I wanted by using the free version of DMDE to save them to a different drive/partition. My first attempt using the EASUS Data Recovery Wizard (Free) was educational. It thoroughly scanned the partition for about 2.5 hours and showed me that most of the files were still intact. So I started selecting the files I REALLY wanted to recover. After I selected about 650 MB of data, I started the recovery. Easus quit at about 500 MB - a limit for the free version - and offered the full version for $69.95. I figured there was a data limit but the program didn't reveal it while I was selecting files. Having known that, I would have selected files a few at a time in order of importance. But luckily, DMDE, although a bit crude, got the job done without having to spend hours first scanning the drive. I'm confident that I'll be able to eventually recover more files from that bad partition. It's a slower, manual selection process with DMDE but it works.

Ask a Question