Driver Installation Following a Clean Installation

Reaction score
Greetings: I formatted my HD and did a clean installation using a Win10 DVD that I made using the MS Media Creation Tool. When I finished loading the OS, I checked Device Manager, and all of the drivers appeared to be loaded (well, except for my scanner's SCSI card drivers).

NIC card drivers, USB 3 chipsets, Intel Chipsets, etc., all seemed to be there and are working, even though that was 'never' true under Win7. Under Win7, I always had to run a Driver disk following a clean install of the OS to load all of those drivers.

My principle concern is with the Intel chipsets. How can I be sure that they are properly installed? If I don't have any warning signs in Device Manager, does that mean I'm good to go?

Thank you for your help!

Kindest Regards,
David

Dell OptiPlex 980
Windows 10 Pro
Intel i7 Processor
512 GB Samsung SSD
16 GB RAM
Asus 24" ProArt Monitor

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi st_worm2,

Welcome to the forum.

When you install Windows 10, the default settings include a Windows Update Service stage which automatically downloads any supported drivers for hardware detected on your computer. This default setting can be disabled during installation either via the GUI splash screens - i.e. checking the box telling it not to check for updates now, or via a DISM command via an elevated command prompt or Windows PowerShell console. I'm assuming you did not choose to prevent this default setting given you say most of your drivers installed.

If there are no warning symbols displaying when you open Device Manager then your computer ought to run fine. This does not necessarily mean though, that you have the latest drivers for your various components; it simply means you have adequate drivers to meet minimum requirements.

When in Device Manager you can right-click on a component and select the option to check for more recent drivers. If one is available it will download. Alternatively, you could visit the manufacturer website to check there for any hardware drivers that may have updates, or if your computer is still within the Support Contract with Dell, then visit your Dell site.

In the case of your Scanner's SCSI drivers. Some models do not yet have official Windows 10 drivers but will still work fine using either generic drivers installed during the Windows installation, or by using the most recent version available which may be Windows 7, or 8, or 8.1 drivers.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit/Dave, thank you both for your help. I've been to Dell and I did have the latest drivers that they offer. They, of course, are not supporting the upgrade to Win10 on my Optiplex, but it works fine.

The drivers in Device Manager seem to all be up to date, save the SCSI drivers, so I'll go looking for those later today.

Hope you both have a great day and a great weekend :)

--David

Ask a Question