Dual Boot Win dows 10 and XP

Reaction score
I have upgraded my 32-bit XP System to Windows 10. Before making the upgrade I made XP Backups as follows (my XP System was on a multi-partition Disk):
- Complete Partition Backup using Acronis.
- Complete Partition copy using Partition Magic.

Win 10 is running well, but I I want to Dual boot my old XP system because I have some driver issues and 2 apps which will not run on Win 10. Most website instructions specify a complete XP re-install which, with all the XP updates, would be lengthy and tedious. Could I simply create a new partition then either restore my Acronis backup OR copy back the XP Partition with Partition Magic.

If so, what else would I have to do to make it dual boot e.g. change boot.ini or other.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting premise. I think.....
If you have the available space to create a new partition of sufficient size to host the XP install, I'd copy the contents of the XP partition backup into that, then....
I would probably use something like the free version of EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ to generate a new boot entry and see if that would work.
Since XP boot config files are all self contained in the root of the installation directory it should work, but.....
No guarantees.
Let us know how you make out.

I'm not a big fan of dual booting anymore. I now typically use Hyper-V and a program called Disk2VHD https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx to capture my previous OS completely and then run it inside a VM, which seems to work OK for my purposes.

Reaction score
You could also use Virtual Box Virtual machine and install XP as a VM. It would run inside of Windows 10 but would act like a new machine and you wouldnt have to dual boot. I basically said the same thing as the last poster but using Oracle's Virtual Toolbox. Hyper-V in Windows 8 required the professional version of Windows.

Reaction score
Hi Guys .... sorry about the delay. I've been fighting the many nuiances and glitches that MS always seem to introduce into a new system. The good news is I've solved my driver issues except I can't find a working driver for my Canoscan 4200F. I've also now got all my vital frequently used apps working.
However I still want to install XP as dual boot in case of problems with other less used apps, and to use my Canoscan 4200F occasionally (hopefully I will never need to use XP again and can delete it in a few months).

I have a 2nd physical disk on my PC and my plan is to use Minitool Partition Magic to copy the cloned XP partition back from external backup to the 2nd HDD. I believe Partition Magic requires the 'destination' to be 'unallocated' space and I will create this as the first entry on the 2nd HDD. Does this need to be made 'Primary, Active'?

I've downloaded and had a look at EasyBCD (very powerful with lots of opportunity to really screw things up).
Once I've copied the XP partition back, is it as simple as "Add a new entry", then select Type "Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3" and allow it to 'Automatically Detect Correct Drive' (or should I untick this and point it specifically at the restored partition on 2nd HDD).

Although I am reasonably techie,I would welcome any comments on my intended plan, especially any mistakes / omissions, as I've never done anything like this before. I don't want to screw up all the hours of Win10 work so far (I've taken an Acronis backup of it).

Thanks for your patience and continuing help.

Reaction score
MS has recommended to stop using XP period. I would not even use it in a VM. It is a High security risk.

Reaction score
Hi Guys .... sorry about the delay. I've been fighting the many nuiances and glitches that MS always seem to introduce into a new system. The good news is I've solved my driver issues except I can't find a working driver for my Canoscan 4200F. I've also now got all my vital frequently used apps working.
However I still want to install XP as dual boot in case of problems with other less used apps, and to use my Canoscan 4200F occasionally (hopefully I will never need to use XP again and can delete it in a few months).

I have a 2nd physical disk on my PC and my plan is to use Minitool Partition Magic to copy the cloned XP partition back from external backup to the 2nd HDD. I believe Partition Magic requires the 'destination' to be 'unallocated' space and I will create this as the first entry on the 2nd HDD. Does this need to be made 'Primary, Active'?

I've downloaded and had a look at EasyBCD (very powerful with lots of opportunity to really screw things up).
Once I've copied the XP partition back, is it as simple as "Add a new entry", then select Type "Windows NT/2K/XP/2K3" and allow it to 'Automatically Detect Correct Drive' (or should I untick this and point it specifically at the restored partition on 2nd HDD).

Although I am reasonably techie,I would welcome any comments on my intended plan, especially any mistakes / omissions, as I've never done anything like this before. I don't want to screw up all the hours of Win10 work so far (I've taken an Acronis backup of it).

Thanks for your patience and continuing help.
The canon 4200f works in windows 10 if you install the driver in compatability mode, and then afterwards the canoscan toolkit software 64 bit version.
hope this helps you.

Ask a Question