During the lull

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought that while we're in limbo awaiting Microsoft to decide what will become of us and our computers, I'd grab one of my machines that I don't use all that often that was running 1803 and all caught up with updates and add that machine to the Windows Insider Program, which I did and in doing so selected the "Release Preview Ring", just to see if what we have been hearing is true.
Capture.PNG

I was surprised that upon rebooting after making my selection (a requirement) that I received as my first upgrade was
Capture1.PNG

17763.17 is a build number I wasn't familiar with and was surprised that I didn't get 17763.1 or 17763.15

After that reboot I again manually checked for updates and received
Capture2.PNG

So in total, my update history reflects....
The 1809 upgrade and a single cumulative update (which incidentally failed on the first try).

Capture3.PNG

Reaction score
Is there any chance the original build number was the result of targeting based on certain configurations?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good question but I don't think so.
My take-away is that, when this thing actually rolls out *again*, I believe that 17763.17 will be the offering and will require a single Cumulative Update.
Whether that will be KB4464330 or not will depend on the timing.

OF course that is just me guessing again.
Dona Sarkar has been silent since October 12th. I guess there isn't much to say.
Not even a mention of a build for that 19H1 fork (current insider preview)

Reaction score
This is the second build release which has gone awry. I hate to point it out but it appears a trend is appearing.. Not really good for us.

Someone in the Microsoft forum was giving excuses for her being quiet. One was the winners of some Insider contest were at Redmond and might be occupying her time.

Maybe we will see something tomorrow. If the post someone linked about the re-release being pulled also, it might be longer.

Reaction score
If I recall my original update of 1809 was 17763.1, the cumulative update brought the version up to
17763.55 current. It's running like a Swiss watch on an older (9 years) Dell Optiplex Win 10 Pro.
$100 machine, refurbished by Dell with Win 10 Pro OEM installed.

Reaction score
I just checked and I had the same stuff as you, the same failed cumulative update follow by success.

Reaction score
I have the same as you @Trouble . :)

winver.JPG

I assume I arrived at that number after doing the upgrade and updates after, before 1809 was pulled. I am not in the Insider Program though!.:):):)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Understood.
I just put this machine into the Insider Program (Release Preview Ring) as an exercise to see if perhaps I could get any additional insight as to what might be happening.
As I understand it the current pending release of RTM is still in the hands of the Insider environment but only in the Release Preview and perhaps the Slow Ring.
Fast Ring and Skip ahead folks have already moved on to the 19H1 builds.

So now this machine is on the same Version and Build Number as my machine that I use every day.
I'm waiting to see if the insider machine gets a cumulative update that the other does not get...
OR
IF they'll both be treated identically from here on out.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep according to the blog link I posted above.
Slow ring and Insider Preview ring only.
Which makes sense as they were the only two rings remaining on this insider build.
The Fast and Skip Ahead rings have all moved on to 19H1 builds.

AND the whole point of this "During the lull" exercise.

Reaction score
So this is the second re-release? Someone posted a link to a page which listed the errors in the original release but when I went there, my processor went crazy.

I had to get off the page before my system overheated. And maybe as you mentioned regarding the Task Manager, it was showing 60% to 80% CPU utilization but the column below just showed 5%. So something that was using 60-70% of my processor was not showing up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And maybe as you mentioned regarding the Task Manager, it was showing 60% to 80% CPU utilization but the column below just showed 5%. So something that was using 60-70% of my processor was not showing up.
Yeah.... that's really irritating, sometimes it over reports and other times it under reports.
Supposedly that's fixed in this Cumulative Update
We have fixed the issue where the incorrect details were being shown in Task Manager under the “Processes” tab.

Ask a Question