SOLVED DVD - no video

Reaction score
A few days ago there was an update to Windows 10 on my desktop. (Updates to laptop must be different as they always come at different times.) Since the update, videos will not play on my desktop. (They always have before update.) All other files - pdf, jpg, etc. open OK. And the videos still play on the laptop. It seems like every time there is an update, something quits working. Any way to fix? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
What is the source of these "videos"?
Are they locally stored files on your hard disk or are they on DVD, BD or another external source (streaming perhaps)?
What program did you previously use to play these "videos".
I often use http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
You might want to give that a try and see if your videos play.

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for your rapid response. I was just leaving home for the day when it arrived so didn't have opportunity to respond. To answer your questions, the videos I refer to are all commercially purchased DVD's - primarily education, science, etc. I never noticed what the program was that played them, I simply inserted the DVD and it played. I haven't purchased any such player software, but it looks like something called Windows DVD Player is the program - it is what plays the DVD's on the laptop. When I use the "ask me" box, and enter Windows DVD Player on the desktop PC it ultimately directs me to a Microsoft store that I can buy it for $14.99. What is seems like is that it was originally installed with Windows 10 but this latest "update" may have updated it off my computer to force me to buy it. I suppose when my laptop is "updated", it too will be updated out of existence. Am I correct in this? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Microsoft provided a means of playing DVDs in previous iterations of Windows going back quite some time.
There is nothing native to Windows 10 that will perform this task. You may have had something left over from an upgrade from a previous version of Windows or you may have had some third party product that came with your computer. Whatever the case.....
The link I provided above will likely play those DVDs that your mentioned.
There is another semi-popular choice that a lot of people seem to like also
https://potplayer.daum.net/

Either VLC or PotPlayer should work for you.

Reaction score
I just installed the VLC player on my desktop per your advice which solved the problem. Thank you so much. Interestingly, when I shut down the laptop late last night, it installed the Windows update. Sure nuf' - the videos no longer played. I will install the VLC player tonight. And I appreciate your tribute to our armed forces. My uncle's remains were just identified last March. He was in 82nd Airborne, 325th Glider Inf. Regiment. He was killed first combat mission in Market Garden Operation, Sept. 1944. He was brought home & buried with full military honors Memorial Day weekend, 2016. God bless America and our vets.

Ask a Question