Echo not showing up as Bluetooth device.

Reaction score
I had my Echo device working well as a Bluetooth speaker running from my Win10 computer. But then I had a serious virus problem and had to do a clean install. After which, I could not get the echo Bluetooth connection back. When I go to System > Add Bluetooth and other devices > Add a device, it searches and searches but does not find Echo. If I ask Echo/Alexa to enable bluetooth, it searches and searches and tells me it cannot find a connection. Frustrating because I had no problem getting it hooked up the first time. Any ideas? (The Echo device connects to my WiFi just fine, as does my computer)

Reaction score
Hi Charles,

are you running the latest version of Win 10?. :cool:

Reaction score
I'm running version 1903 which I see is not the latest. I will check out the link you sent and let you know. Tanks.

Reaction score
Hi Charles,

are you running the latest version of Win 10?. :cool:

Before I do this, let me ask. Is this disruptive? Does it take a long time? Will I lose settings, programs or whatever? If so, it's just not worth it. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Nope, it does take some time though, you won't lose any apps or docs but back them up anyway for safety's sake. :)

Reaction score
Does Echo use Bluetooth 4 or the newer 5 and which does your computer have? I use Bluetooth mice and they are all 4.

Reaction score
Nope, it does take some time though, you won't lose any apps or docs but back them up anyway for safety's sake. :)

Wolfie: I went to the link that you suggested in for upgrade - https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10.

The link does not work and I get
An error occurred while processing your request.
Reference #97.364f7268.1601917237.232ec83a

The other suggestion for upgrade looks a little daunting and I am not ready to take that plunge.

Any other ideas would be welcome of course.

Reaction score
The link works for me to get the Media Creation Tool, run it and get choices of what to download. I've never done the Update now choice, never know when I'll need the software if Internet is not available.
1601923053399.png

Reaction score
Before we go suggesting that upgrading from 1903 to 2004 will solve all of his bluetooth problems maybe we should see if his echo is in pairing mode?

I have 1903 and a USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter that works with all my bluetooth devices, even my phone. Upgrading from 1903 may cause more problems than it solves (don't believe me, just do a search in this forum).

Reaction score
Before we go suggesting that upgrading from 1903 to 2004 will solve all of his bluetooth problems maybe we should see if his echo is in pairing mode?

I have 1903 and a USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter that works with all my bluetooth devices, even my phone. Upgrading from 1903 may cause more problems than it solves (don't believe me, just do a search in this forum).

Clippybeer, thank-you! Had trouble pairing my Alexa, after a total reinstall of Windows. Which I had to do because the last Windows update mucked up my system so much. It caused multiple issues, most of which I managed to resolve, except for reinstalling the printer. After 2 days solid working on it, constantly reading that people had the same issue after updating, and (flumoxing a computer techie!) I finally conceeded, and reinstalled Windows. Although I had my data backed up, I still had to reinstall all my apps, which has taken all day. I was not a happy bunny! Thanks for your help, you're an angel! :) Sue

Reaction score
Hi sue,

please mark the thread as solved so it helps others, thanks. :)

And out of curiosity, what version of Win 10 are you using now?. :)

Reaction score
Hi sue,

please mark the thread as solved so it helps others, thanks. :)

And out of curiosity, what version of Win 10 are you using now?. :)
Hi Wolfie,

Sorry, I can't see a button anywhere on page to mark the thread as solved? How do I do this please? Many thanks! :)

Using Windows Home Edition, version 10.0.18363

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

take a look at the top left of this page window, you will see a green button!. Thanks. :)

You should update as your version is a little old now.

1621969317314.png

Reaction score
Hi Sue,

take a look at the top left of this page window, you will see a green button!. Thanks. :)

You should update as your version is a little old now.

View attachment 13478
Hi Wolfie, I'm so sorry, but honestly, there is no green button. I've searched the entired page, several times, but I can't see any way to mark as 'solved'. I wasn't the original poster, just a commentator, perhaps that is why?

I appreciate that my version of windows is a little old, and I have tried to update it, but that is when all my issues with my system started.

Thought I had everything fixed yesterday, but woke up this morning to find the sign-in options not working. Tried sfc / scannow only to find that also wouldn't work. Managed to re-enable it after finding trustedinstaller also disabled! (restarted it now). Everything was working fine when I went to sleep, now more issues, which I'm working through. Getting really fed up with it all. :( Good job I have a lot of patience!

Reaction score
I wasn't the original poster, just a commentator, perhaps that is why?
Hi Suzy,

yes, you are right, I never thought of that. Don't worry, maybe the original poster will come back one day.

If you need any more help, please start your own thread and then once solved, you can hit that green button. Have a good one. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie, I'm so sorry, but honestly, there is no green button. I've searched the entired page, several times, but I can't see any way to mark as 'solved'. I wasn't the original poster, just a commentator, perhaps that is why?

I appreciate that my version of windows is a little old, and I have tried to update it, but that is when all my issues with my system started.

Thought I had everything fixed yesterday, but woke up this morning to find the sign-in options not working. Tried sfc / scannow only to find that also wouldn't work. Managed to re-enable it after finding trustedinstaller also disabled! (restarted it now). Everything was working fine when I went to sleep, now more issues, which I'm working through. Getting really fed up with it all. :( Good job I have a lot of patience!
" I wasn't the original poster,"
ONLY the original poster can mark as solved. Sorry your time was wasted:rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hi Suzy,

yes, you are right, I never thought of that. Don't worry, maybe the original poster will come back one day.

If you need any more help, please start your own thread and then once solved, you can hit that green button. Have a good one. :)

Thanks, Wolfie. :) Happy to say, (fingers crossed!), that I now seem to have everything resolved, but I do appreciate the offer. Would be a change to hit a 'solved' button from hitting my head against the wall in frustration! :D

Thanks, you too, have a wonderful day. :) - Sue

Ask a Question