Edge Browser

Reaction score
I cannot reorganize my Edge browser favorites bar. Is this still coming? Also how to shorten the titles or remove them is a concern

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I cannot reorganize my Edge browser favorites bar
Hello and welcome to the forum.
This was a problem in earlier releases of the Edge browser but is fixed now.
Have you tried simply dragging items in your favorites bar to a new location and dropping them there.
As far as the size of the titles of those items .... they seem to be what they are. Of course you can rename them to shorten them but other than that I'm not sure what your would do to shorten them.

Reaction score
Until Microsoft FINALLy resolves the following problems with Edge Browser, back to Chrome browser I stay:
1. No full screen mode.
This is just plain PATHETIC and this browser with the o.s. was launched in freaking 2015. It's not like we're in 90's here. IE 8 even had a full screen mode!. IE 10's and 11's full screen modes are perfect. WHY was this not included in the programming of Edge Browser? I have a 25" 1440p ( 100% default/stock dpi scaling settings in windows 10 btw) screen and I still would love to make use of full screen mode in my browsing experience. Chrome's full screen mode is garbage compared to IE's given it's not a " autohide/manual reappear url+tabs+favorites bar,etc" functioning browser.

2. Pretty much NO hotkeys ( alt d ONLY works on the first launched home page and does NOTHING there after), ctrl t finally works for new tabs. alt x in IE gets you to your main Internet Options window in a flash to do what ya need to do.)

3. Still no way to change the default Downloads location from within the browser UNLIKE in IE ( since at least version 9). Again ..THIS IS BASIC functionality of any internet browser for the past 18+ freaking years! Thanks to Jerry Barnecules on youtube in Codegasm episode 5 even I, a programming NOOB, could build a basic browser that has at least THAT functionality! What is Microsoft's excuse again? ( nice fail Microsoft btw for laying him off. He was one of your best coders and a decent person!)

4. STILL can't remove Bing as a search engine option UNLIKE in IE 10 and IE 11. Yes Bing has and may continue to get better, but Google is still the king search engine from my experience. I don't want to have any other search engines EVEN AVAILABLE for the stupid browser to decide one random day to randomly enable or use.

5. NO chrome extensions support contrary to what Microsoft PROMISED Edge would have. This was the MAIN big deal that was going to finally allow Microsoft to lure chrome and firefox users away to Microsoft's browsing world. However, they have YET to deliver. Edge is still the same piece of crap it was back in the tech preview days with only Ctrl T, and a COUPLE of very BASIC things corrected. These corrections seem to be things any intermediate pc user CAN learn how to fix on his own in MS Visual Studio 2013. ( Well tpcs...If you think that, why don't you stop complaining and FIX it yourself. ). Why? Because I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO. This was BUILT by microsoft and PROMISED by them that it would be the best "modern day" browser.

Given all of these problems about Edge browser, it's no wonder it's just ONE of the many reasons why more and more people are at least trying different versions of Linux as a possibly replacement only to unfortunately be slowly dragging their feet coming back to Windows because it " just works" and to get over dealing with such easy-to-fix problems.

If Microsoft would STOP worrying so much about stupid 5 year old crap ( look at me..I can doodle on my screen..but wait..I can't if it's NOT a touch screen...well that's pointless) such as writing on the screen, shoving more social networking buttons/pointless crap and other useless things in our faces and just focus on FIXING these Five main issues....I GUARANTEE ALL OF YOU.....You'll start seeing a flood of chrome and firefox users coming to use Edge Browser and may actually STAY with it as their primary Internet Browsing " daily driver."

They have done pretty much NOTHING with Edge browser for desktops and laptops since even the Tech Preview days of Win 10. So until they fix these five things, 100%, back to Chrome Browser I stay.

Reaction score
As soon as I get this update that we might get on November 10th, I will find a way to remove EDGE. I have zero use for it and or any of the apps from MS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Well they did just add the right click to print for the Edge browser, but still no right click to create desktop shortcut to site. Pin to Start is still all you get.

Reaction score
Obviously I am not a hard core browser maven. I use Firefox and Edge for different things. I don't 'like' Chrome, don't know why. Edge certainly could do with some extensions but then Firefox seems to determine that another extension is unsafe every week...which is really annoying to me.
tpcs comments
#1 I just don't care
#2 I rarely use any keys hotter than ^C and ^V
#3 I don't mind using File explorer for that.
#4 OK, I removed it as far as I could from Edge . I'd like to have Cortana use Google which seems impossible
#5 I completely agree.

Reaction score
Firefox just wants all of their extensions signed. I do not have a problem with that. Since I got an SSD, Fx stopped crashing and that is all I care about. I have 28 extensions and they are all signed. I will never use Cortana as I do not have a Mic and never will use edge. I do not care for Chrome either.

Reaction score
I apologize for that fact that the massive amount of info in my previous comment seems exhausting and thus perhaps just RANTING, but I had high hopes for Edge. I REALLy wanted to believe in it and leave Chrome behind. If I could get Chrome's full screen mode to behave PRECISELY like IE's, I wouldn't care either way and would be 100% happy with chrome, but for now I'm only 85% happy with hit.

Microsoft, PLEASE notice my first comment today and at least work on ONE of those five in each of the new up coming Win 10 builds.....PLEASE! :D If you could just RESOLVE one of those problems in each build, then you're making real progress with me and I know a few others.

Reaction score
Obviously I am not a hard core browser maven. I use Firefox and Edge for different things. I don't 'like' Chrome, don't know why. Edge certainly could do with some extensions but then Firefox seems to determine that another extension is unsafe every week...which is really annoying to me.
tpcs comments
#1 I just don't care
#2 I rarely use any keys hotter than ^C and ^V
#3 I don't mind using File explorer for that.
#4 OK, I removed it as far as I could from Edge . I'd like to have Cortana use Google which seems impossible
#5 I completely agree.

Your 1. You're not a power user
Your 2. You're not a power user
Your 3. The POINT of that is if you download a big amount of data/files like I do ( paid for music, testing programs, etc) AND you're using a ssd which chances are you could not YET afford a 1TB or 2TB model which costs easily 350 on a megasale or more in cost, you have sense enough to direct all internet downloaded things to a separate bigger storage drive such as a 1TB or bigger so that A. your cheap ssd's write/life cycle is extended and B. It's space is reserve for more critical things like programs, pictures, documents, etc.

Now if those don't apply to you, then please don't take insult to anything I've said as I'm only explaining the " why" parts of my first comment versus your opinion. All good vibes intended.

Your 4. That tells me nothing. HOW did you remove it as far as you could from Edge?

Your 5. Well one thing in agreement on first try is enough for me :D

Reaction score
Use of fullscreen mode and hot-keys is not a prerequisite for being classified a power user. Power users get results. The tools that are used is irrelevant, unless they are inadequate.

Reaction score
Your 3. The POINT of that is if you download a big amount of data/files like I do ( paid for music, testing programs, etc) AND you're using a ssd which chances are you could not YET afford a 1TB or 2TB model which costs easily 350 on a megasale or more in cost, you have sense enough to direct all internet downloaded things to a separate bigger storage drive such as a 1TB or bigger so that A. your cheap ssd's write/life cycle is extended and B. It's space is reserve for more critical things like programs, pictures, documents, etc.

Now if those don't apply to you, then please don't take insult to anything I've said as I'm only explaining the " why" parts of my first comment versus your opinion. All good vibes intended.

Your 4. That tells me nothing. HOW did you remove it as far as you could from Edge?

Your 5. Well one thing in agreement on first try is enough for me :D

I am not insulted in anyway...forums are for disagreement and
Quite right I'm not a power user. I spent 40 years being a power user on assorted mini computers when keyboards were all there was but I retired before having to be a power user on Windows :D
Yes I do have an SSD (256GB) and I do have my Downloads directory off on a HDD. FWIW I have been considering building my next PC with only a couple of 512GB SSDs and upgrading my NAS for long term storage.

I followed the instructions and replaced Bing with Google...so I never see Bing. Is that not enough?

Reaction score
Use of fullscreen mode and hot-keys is not a prerequisite for being classified a power user. Power users get results. The tools that are used is irrelevant, unless they are inadequate.

Power users DON'T often need the gui buttons that are included or CAN be included such as the Home button, Refresh button, Left clicking INTO the url bar to prep for typing in a new website/ip address to visit. Thus, it is coherent. Full screen mode part is debatable and I"ll let that rest. However, you ask 99.9999% of all TRUE power users ( these are often decade+ experienced pc and network techs as well as and especially including cyber defense professionals, those who have built their own distros in the Linux world, pc users such as those) they KNOW hot keys and shortcut key combinations and use them as often as Bruce Lee trained.

ANYONE can get results. Power users get the same or more results....faster. It's that simple. The tools that are used ARE relevant. You honestly think any hardcore level network repair or cyber security company is going to hire anyone who can't even use the command prompt in Windows or Terminal in Linux and Mac? Get real.
I am not insulted in anyway...forums are for disagreement and
Quite right I'm not a power user. I spent 40 years being a power user on assorted mini computers when keyboards were all there was but I retired before having to be a power user on Windows :D
Yes I do have an SSD (256GB) and I do have my Downloads directory off on a HDD. FWIW I have been considering building my next PC with only a couple of 512GB SSDs and upgrading my NAS for long term storage.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Please stay on topic "Edge Browser"
I cannot reorganize my Edge browser favorites bar. Is this still coming? Also how to shorten the titles or remove them is a concern

Reaction score
I am by no means a fan of The Edge browser, but it will not be feature complete until Redstone is released sometime next year. Until then IMHO it is a BETA.

Reaction score
How about how Edge default prints in monochrome. Sure, you can change it - like everytime you want to printscreen. It always reverts back to monochrome printing, and you have to go in EVERY time and change that if you want color printing.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
I have Edge Browser and only that one'
I can print in colour with out altering any setting at all.
I used to use the favourites bar but now find it a lot better using start and life at a glance
Find it keeps my home page tidier when I open it
Or you could do a short cut via pin to taskbar

Ask a Question