Enabling shutdown sound/turning off fast shutdown?

Reaction score
I've browsed through a few threads on here, and because of that, I was able to figure out how to disable fast startup (which allows me to listen to the startup sound), but also replace it as well since I believe by default, there is no startup sound in Windows 10.

However, this isn't the same with the shutdown as every time I turn off my PC or restart my PC, there is no sound that plays.

I've customized both the startup (which works) and shutdown (which does not work) as well and enabled the Logon and Logoff sounds in the Sounds menu as well. I used the same sound for Logoff and Logon as well. For Exit Windows as well, I used the shutdown sound and I also checked Play Windows Startup sound too.

Anyone know how I can change this so I CAN hear it when I restart or turn off my PC? Minor customization options like this is what made Windows 7 and below so great, and to see this absent or hidden from Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 is rather disappointing as I feel that I am not able to customize my own computer, possibly at least without some form of a workaround.

Thank you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I've customized both the startup (which works) and shutdown (which does not work) as well and enabled the Logon and Logoff sounds in the Sounds menu as well. I used the same sound for Logoff and Logon as well.

Can you clarify what you mean by '' customized both the startup and shutdown ''?

Am wondering why you enabled Logon and Logoff in the Sounds menu (which by default is not even present)?
  • Have you been tampering with your Registry settings for AppEvents\EventLabels?
    • Here both the WindowsLogon and WindowsLogoff are set to not be available on the Sounds Context Panel. Did you reset their Data values to 0?

• Would it not be simpler to leave the Registry alone and simply take ownership of the Media folder:
    • C:\Windows\Media
    • Then once owned simply replace:
      • Windows Logoff Sound.wav
      • Windows Logon Sound.wav
      • Windows Shutdown.wav
      • Windows Startup.wav

I was able to figure out how to disable fast startup (which allows me to listen to the startup sound), but also replace it as well since I believe by default, there is no startup sound in Windows 10.

• I've not disabled Fast Startup and I hear audio as machine Starts and Logs on
  • I take it you are aware though that Disabling Fast Startup has no affect on Hybernation, Sleep or Restart modes all of which will exclude using Sounds Context Panel settings.
  • With the modern computers I'm not even convinced disabling Fast Startup makes any significant loss of boot time at all to the Startup process. I suppose it may do if your Startup folder is bursting at the seams with third party utilities.

What are you using to physically listen to audio on this computer?
  • USB Headset?
  • USB Speakers?
  • Something else?

It may be that if your devices are USB based they simply deactivate as your Shutdown faster than the Windows Shutdown or Windows Logoff Sound can start playing. Likewise on Startup they may simply not fire up before the Windows Start or Windows Login Sound plays.
So in closing if I understand your post accurately you did the following:
  • Disabled Startup - presumably via Control Panel | Power Options
  • Edited your Registry AppEvents\EventLabels\ subkeys: WindowsLogon and WindowsLogoff ExcludeFromCPL binary files by resetting their data values to 0
  • Accessed your Sounds content panel and modified the WAV you hear for Logon and Logoff
  • Check marked the Play Windows Startup sound in the Sounds tab
  • I'm unsure whether you actually meant you modfied the WAV files inside the C:\Windows\Media folder

If you can clarify please that would help.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Can you clarify what you mean by '' customized both the startup and shutdown ''?

Am wondering why you enabled Logon and Logoff in the Sounds menu (which by default is not even present)?
  • Have you been tampering with your Registry settings for AppEvents\EventLabels?
    • Here both the WindowsLogon and WindowsLogoff are set to not be available on the Sounds Context Panel. Did you reset their Data values to 0?

• Would it not be simpler to leave the Registry alone and simply take ownership of the Media folder:
    • C:\Windows\Media
    • Then once owned simply replace:
      • Windows Logoff Sound.wav
      • Windows Logon Sound.wav
      • Windows Shutdown.wav
      • Windows Startup.wav

• I've not disabled Fast Startup and I hear audio as machine Starts and Logs on
  • I take it you are aware though that Disabling Fast Startup has no affect on Hybernation, Sleep or Restart modes all of which will exclude using Sounds Context Panel settings.
  • With the modern computers I'm not even convinced disabling Fast Startup makes any significant loss of boot time at all to the Startup process. I suppose it may do if your Startup folder is bursting at the seams with third party utilities.

What are you using to physically listen to audio on this computer?
  • USB Headset?
  • USB Speakers?
  • Something else?

It may be that if your devices are USB based they simply deactivate as your Shutdown faster than the Windows Shutdown or Windows Logoff Sound can start playing. Likewise on Startup they may simply not fire up before the Windows Start or Windows Login Sound plays.
So in closing if I understand your post accurately you did the following:
  • Disabled Startup - presumably via Control Panel | Power Options
  • Edited your Registry AppEvents\EventLabels\ subkeys: WindowsLogon and WindowsLogoff ExcludeFromCPL binary files by resetting their data values to 0
  • Accessed your Sounds content panel and modified the WAV you hear for Logon and Logoff
  • Check marked the Play Windows Startup sound in the Sounds tab
  • I'm unsure whether you actually meant you modfied the WAV files inside the C:\Windows\Media folder

If you can clarify please that would help.

Regards,

Regedit32

I don't know how you're able to hear the start up and shutdown sounds in Windows 10 with the default settings. I couldn't, and I heard to do so, I had to disable fast startup for that. Also, by customized shutdown sound, I mean, a shutdown sound that isn't the default sound you get in Windows 10. For example, I replaced it with the Windows 2000 shutdown sound instead.

USB headset is what I use to listen to audio.

And yes, your conclusions are correct.

Regedit32

Reaction score
I don't know how you're able to hear the start up and shutdown sounds in Windows 10

Hi again,

I'll have to do some thinking then on what your problem is.

My System is HP Desktop, Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit, current Build 10586.318

I've always heard the logon audio sounds and that Familiar Windows chime as it starts up. I'm using a Logitech USB headset, not external speakers.

I've never disabled Fast Startup.

My original Build was 10586.218 and audio then was fine also.

MSCONFIG > General tab > Startup settings currently are on Selective startup with Load system services and Load startup items both checkmarked. The third option is not checkmarked. Normally I'd have it set on Normal startup but I recently did an in-Place upgrade to repair a broken Microsoft Photos app.

The only other thing I can think of that I've been working on in recent weeks was to create a Multimedia Task Scheduler service. This is just a pet project I've been playing with to replicate something I used to do many moons ago. I don't believe the Registry keys I've been working on though would affect the audio wavs you are speaking of. I could disable my custom made Service to see if it makes a difference though. If it does, I'm more than happy to supply you notes on how to make your own custom Service.

I was also testing a theory of Group Policy Editing (which normally is not available in Windows Home editions) but I do not recall mucking around with audio settings there, nor with Windows Logon or Windows Logoff settings. I'll double check though just in case I did make an adjustment that I've forgotten about; again if that is why I'm hearing something you say you cannot hear without disabling Fast Startup I'll happily share how.

Hopefully, a few others on this Forum notice this thread and chime in * excuse the pun * on the subject. We may need to enable Fast Startup on their Interest levels of the topic :D

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi again,

I'll have to do some thinking then on what your problem is.

My System is HP Desktop, Windows 10 Home Edition 64-bit, current Build 10586.318

I've always heard the logon audio sounds and that Familiar Windows chime as it starts up. I'm using a Logitech USB headset, not external speakers.

I've never disabled Fast Startup.

My original Build was 10586.218 and audio then was fine also.

MSCONFIG > General tab > Startup settings currently are on Selective startup with Load system services and Load startup items both checkmarked. The third option is not checkmarked. Normally I'd have it set on Normal startup but I recently did an in-Place upgrade to repair a broken Microsoft Photos app.

The only other thing I can think of that I've been working on in recent weeks was to create a Multimedia Task Scheduler service. This is just a pet project I've been playing with to replicate something I used to do many moons ago. I don't believe the Registry keys I've been working on though would affect the audio wavs you are speaking of. I could disable my custom made Service to see if it makes a difference though. If it does, I'm more than happy to supply you notes on how to make your own custom Service.

I was also testing a theory of Group Policy Editing (which normally is not available in Windows Home editions) but I do not recall mucking around with audio settings there, nor with Windows Logon or Windows Logoff settings. I'll double check though just in case I did make an adjustment that I've forgotten about; again if that is why I'm hearing something you say you cannot hear without disabling Fast Startup I'll happily share how.

Hopefully, a few others on this Forum notice this thread and chime in * excuse the pun * on the subject. We may need to enable Fast Startup on their Interest levels of the topic :D

Regards,

Regedit32

Well, I can now hear the start up sound due to my changes, but still can't hear the shutdown sounds regardless.

Ask a Question