Enough is enough

Reaction score
While i did like W 10 when it was working o/k i have now got to the point when it is no longer worth the problems it causes.
The Anniversary update nearly wrecked my pc but after recovering from that by going back to the previous build i now have more problems since the last updates pc will not boot up.
ENOUGH IS ENOUGH i have now gone back to W 7 ant to be honest i like it more as i have more control over my pc than W10 gave me.
Going back to W 7 certainly seems to be like an upgrade to me now.;)

Reaction score
With reluctance, I am almost in agreement. I have had more success than many others with Win 10, but , unfortunately, I help a larger community bob elders. So many bare having si8lly, minor problems, with the continuous bombardment of updates.
As you say, I have to hedge my bets here. Windows 8.1 worked excellently for me and the others (No prob if you feel Windows 7 was the ultimate),
I am now poised on the point of asking my old mates if they would rather go back to Windows 7..
And. For them, Windows 7 (upgrade - maybe) but it certainly supplied what they wanted

Reaction score
With reluctance, I am almost in agreement. I have had more success than many others with Win 10, but , unfortunately, I help a larger community bob elders. So many bare having si8lly, minor problems, with the continuous bombardment of updates.
As you say, I have to hedge my bets here. Windows 8.1 worked excellently for me and the others (No prob if you feel Windows 7 was the ultimate),
I am now poised on the point of asking my old mates if they would rather go back to Windows 7..
And. For them, Windows 7 (upgrade - maybe) but it certainly supplied what they wanted
Sadly i believe more and more will be going back to W 7 or 8 i say sadly because when W 10 was working i liked it as an O S but i don't think anyone likes the update feature not only as you say the bombardment but also the control M S had over our PCs.
This is my second day back on W 7 and i must say i am enjoying using my pc again which is all people want isn't it.

Reaction score
I never let Microsoft have any of my Win 7 installs since I never liked the way Win 8 and Win 10 were going. I did not foresee constant updating problems although I have not seen those on my Win 10 systems. I firmly believe the configuration of a system is the cause of most of these situations. Whether it is some device on that system or some software or modification made by the user, such as moving Library folders or not using a password.

The Insiders believe they are in a special group. While that might have been true prior to the public release of Win 10, I believe now all Win 10 users are Insiders. It is just the normal user is in a slower ring...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The Insiders believe they are in a special group.
Special? Maybe..... like riding the short-bus is special.
I mentioned in another post in another thread that I did enjoy "playing" with Windows 10 early on as a Windows Insider, but.....
I went on to mention that the sensation of "playing" has never left, as in.... here it is, it's finished, complete and fully ready for prime-time.
That feeling has never arrived and the sense of waiting for the other shoe to drop remains.

While I have to admit that both my Windows 10 computers seem to work well and without issues, even my other two machines, still on the insider preview (fast and release rings) seem to be fairing very well, but.....
I still marvel at the number of problems our members and guests encounter and wonder that if any of that was happening to me, how long it would take me to revert back to my previous OS.

Reaction score
All 3 of my W10 machines are working well. A new machine, home built, new Gigabyte mobo Gen 6 I5 etc. My 6 year old Acer with its 2nd gen I7 which got W10 10240 in July 2015. and my Lenovo Ideapad laptop which has been in the insider program since a build in the 9000s.
The new machine started with a real live bought copy of W10.
The i7 started with W7 and got the free upgrade.
The Lenovo started as W8, I went to W8.1 then to one of the first Insider builds and so on.
I had a Vista era HP that was upgraded to W10 and then to the free W10. Clunker with a 3 core AMD CPU. Dated 2009. Just works and it has been given away and it works fine.

Those early Insider builds were a bit tricky sometimes ( Like Windows NT was!) but basically all the machines work and keep working.
All the machines apart from the Lenovo took the anni update with no problems. ( The Lenovo took the equivalent Insider build)

So what am I doing wrong...seriously folks.

The Insider machine is the only one using WiFi. My internet is cable with the ISP's device in bridge mode and a Dlink router behind it. I have native IPV6, 100 Mbps and unlimited or nearly so download. No 3rd party security stuff except MalWare bytes. They all have Office 2016. NONE of them use any MS mail product. They all sign on with Microsoft Account passwords...no pins, but I have used local passwords from time to time.

I absolutely agree with Defender et al that W7 SP1 was rock solid.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
No 3rd party security stuff except MalWare bytes.
Would be my guess.
Along with some other third party hardware devices and their supporting third party software / driver packages.

IT's a shame that they've made it such a PITA to get into safe mode or safe mode with networking.
Sure would be nice, in the interest of quick and dirty troubleshooting, IF a user could again use F8 or other such keyboard strike to produce the various legacy boot options, without having to edit their BCD manually to support it.

Reaction score
All my machines have their original on-MOBO ethernet chips, mostly RealTek ( and there were problems back in early 2015 with those) All of them have Nvidia graphics. All except the Lenovo have GeForce checking for new drivers and downloading them when they appear. Monitors are all via HDMI except the Lenovo of course.
Only use Edge where necessary to get good browsing on MS sites, Chrome otherwise.

Reaction score
On occasions when I need the safe mode, I use the shift key and restart method, either on the desktop or the login screen.. It then restarts straight into the troubleshooting screen, from where you can get into safe mode. As so often, it works on the machines I have access to, but , maybe, not for all.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Generally that works Dave, except on machines that won't boot, or don't appear to boot ending up with a blank / black screen, with nothing to click

Reaction score
Then I use the installation disk and start the repair. A bit long winded, but not something you need too often (hopefully!)

Reaction score
As i 've said before i'm a neophyte but I've never let go of 7 pro thru more than one dual boots with 10. 7 is still the best there was. Even 10 with classic shell isn't as good. You guys mentioning F8 startups reminds me of the good old days

T_J

Reaction score
My 2012 i3 Dell desktop Windows 10 Home v1607 runs perfect. All my software (including Office Starter 2010, Garmin Map Source, McAfee, Adobe Photoshop Elements 9, Sling TV app (ESPN 1,2,3; CNN; TNT; etc.) work great.

I'll try to average down PC costs as much as possible, 2012 W10 PC may run to 2025 (?). My 2000 Dell P3 desktop with Lubuntu 16.04.1 LTS (2016 OS) is still surfing the internet.

T_J

Reaction score
Thanks for the System Mechanic tip. I hope to use Office Starter 2010 which came pre-installed FREE on my Dell desktop (from Dell website) for many years and not pay for Office yearly subscriptions. Have a good day.

Ask a Question