Windows message not enough space

Reaction score
Windows 10 keeps informing me that there is not enough space to update, can i do any thing with an external hard dive to creat more spac?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Some tablets can make use of a MicroSDXC card [same as used on SmartPhones], I have 2 that will but a third has issues with it. My tablets have 32GB SSDs and I use a 64GB card on them. USB Thumb drives work.

Reaction score
Buy a 128 GB thumb drive, they are cheap, encrypt (Bit Locker) it and move all of your personal documents, pics, data over to the thumb drive.
If you require some temporary free space on your HD click on Settings > System > Storage and click on "Free up space now"

Reaction score
Using any type of external storage device, move your largest files over before doing the upgrade. But you obviously need a larger primary hard drive.

Reaction score
Is the problem related to a Partitioned Hard Drive at all? I had THAT problem and it could never be resolved. I ended up buying a new PC and trasferring my Files, Programmes and such using an excellent 3rd. Party Application called (what else) "Transfer My PC 8 - with Application Mover"

Reaction score
I wouldn't think so as once your drive is full you will lose access to your computer I would start cleaning up removing files you no longer want and also get a heaps bigger harddrive. A new memory stick you could add your files to and possibly install software to but a new bigger drive would be the go. And use partitions to keep you OS neat and tidy and faster.

Reaction score
hofftaw Welcome!
You can quickly and easily free up space on your HD by opening Settings > System > Storage. When the storage settings open, click on "Free up storage space now" select (check what files you wish to delete) BTW it's safe to check all of the files indicated.
Overtime, these temporary files can be (GB range) huge. It's a quick way to clean up the HD and regain valuable needed space.
I would suggest using an external HD to move rarely used personal files, docs, pics... If you don't currently own an external USB HD you can purchase a USB Thumb drive, they are much cheaper than purchasing an external HD. Also don't skimp on the cost by purchasing cheap thumb drives, choose a reputable brand. I like Kingston, Verbatim, Lexar. You get what you pay for, the cheap thumb drives are poor quality, slow read/write speeds and often don't have the capacity as advertised. 124GB thumb drives are relatively cheap, flexible and a worthy investment.

Reaction score
Windows 10 keeps informing me that there is not enough space to update, can i do any thing with an external hard dive to creat more spac?

What size HDD have you got? You must have a pretty low capacity drive for it to inform you that 'there is not enough space' and/or you must have allot of programs and personal files on your existing drive for this to happen. If you are going to bother with buying an external drive I would upgrade your existing internal drive as this is your best option. Just remember that, Windows 10/64-bit needs 20GB disk space to install as a "system builder" and a full install on an empty drive, plus all your 3rd party programs added onto that pus your personal files.

My suggestion is for you to buy a new HDD (preferably an SSD) of minimum 250GB, preferably a 500GB and clone your existing internal boot drive C:\ onto the new one. You can go for a 500Gb SATA-III 6Gbps HDD with 64MB Cache which are very quick and cheap or you can have an SSD (that I would highly recommend) like a Samsung (which are the best) models, 860 PRO SATA III 2.5 inch or a 860 EVO SATA III 2.5 inch 500GB, which will cost you considerably more but, it will give you tremendously better performance in boot, read and write performances like at least 200% to your existing. This is a very easy process to do, as most new drives come with their own software e.g. Samsung has its own 'Data Migration' for cloning your existing drive to the new drive and the 'Magician Software' that gives you options of RAPID Mode and over provisioning of the new drive. This gives you all your existing files and boot files that are cloned onto the new HDD's.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Does your bios not have to support Sata III to replace a HD with an SSD. If Yes! it could be an expensive upgrade with little or no gain in performance.

Reaction score
Further to Norton. An external hard drive or SSd in an self powered enclosure with USB3 connectivity ( which will still work with USB3) will be useful for all kinds of file stuff. I have two, one with a 1TB HDD and one with a spare 128Gb SSD.

Reaction score
I still like the spinners, SSD's are nice to have but not a necessity in my books. I'm in (retired) no hurry, speed really means nothing and what's an extra 20-30 seconds. I use two 2TB external USB drives for backups of 4 PC's. Replacing them alone with SSD's would be a tad expensive.
I just recently purchased a 2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD for my Grandson (avid gamer) it's a super fast HD and a good (Amazon.ca) price too.

Reaction score
The advantage of an SSD as a time-to-time external drive is the low power consumption...you could plug it to a laptop USB without killing the battery.

Reaction score
Does your bios not have to support Sata III to replace a HD with an SSD. If Yes! it could be an expensive upgrade with little or no gain in performance.

There is no such thing as 'Does your bios not have to support Sata III to replace a HD' this is not available on BIOS's, go to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/io/serial-ata/ahci.html for further information on AHCI as the settings are either ATA, AHCI or RAID On (Intel Rapid Storage) the only setting in BIOS should be set at 'SATA Mode' and it should be set at 'AHCI Mode' for any SATA III HDD's or SSD's for them to get full performance of SSD's or normal SATA III drives. That is what I've got on my 8 year old Acer Aspire 5750-2414 laptop, I'm running a Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB and it works perfectly with lightning speeds for boot, read and write, this laptop has its last Acer BIOS update v1.21 which was dated 2012/11/13 and it works perfectly with SSD drives.

Last edited:

Ask a Question