Error Code: 0xc0000225 at boot

Reaction score
I have post here and tomshardware about all that I went through with these 3 error codes. kombivan is my usual handle

Reaction score
You may have to obtain the Windows 10 installation media and boot from that.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
From there you can use the Command prompt option to attempt to repair your PC.
Typically
bootrec /fixboot
hit enter
bootrec /fixmbr
hit enter
bootrec /rebuildbcd
hit enter
reboot your computer
Usually this is something that Startup Repair does or is suppose to do, but....
You have to run it multiple times, which can be a pain and still might not work.
Not saying that this is the solution to your particular problem, but it might be worth trying.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/927392

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I've spent hours trying various solutions I found online. This worked beautifully. AllenVT

Tsw

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hopefully my hard drive isn't toast and someone can help me as my issue seems to be more specific then all the fixes ive read through on the internet for the past week!

Background: Acer Aspire E15 running Windows 10 was updating and I shut down the laptop. (Yes I already know, so don't even tell me)

The Result: Windows will not boot at all.

What I've attempted to do to repair: So in BIOS I've tried to switch it to switch from UEFI to Legacy and vice versa and always get No Bootable Device. I've switched the boot order to boot from USB with Windows 10 on the USB. When booting on the UEFI Boot mode I get no bootable device. If I switch to Legacy it boots to a Windows screen that says:

Recovery

Your PC/Device needs to be repaired

The application or operating system could not be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
Error code: 0xc0000225

You'll need to use recovery tools.

Press Enter to try again.
Press F8 for Startup settings.

After hitting enter or f8 the screen flashes and nothing happens.

I cannot get into recovery tools, I cannot get anywhere else except top this screen regardless of key combinations I push.
Nothing works, so you guys are my last hope.

I believe that the master boot record needs to be restored, however I don't know how to go about restoring it when I cant access the windows recovery/repair screen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly.
The answer is....Msoft...Has added security...For themselves.. ahmmm...Thinks your adding windows to another PC.

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I've just had a similar issues trying to rebuild an old Dell Latitude with Windows 10 32bit. It would not get me past the error screen and hitting F8 did nothing. Using the latest Rufus (currently 2.12) I used these options. Note the "Add fixes for old BIOSes (extra partition, align,etc) tick box. This is the item that got things working.
rufus-gif.4865
Rufus.GIF

Attachments

• Rufus.GIF
    Rufus.GIF
    83.3 KB · Views: 922
Reaction score
hello
l have same problem ( I have no operating system installed in my laptop. because i formatted partition C: )
BUT I INSERT CD WITH windows. 7 in case of bios legacy. just appear recovery screen with a message. -winload.exe is missing-
but in uefi i insert windows 10 cd it work but i find ( you must convert to gpt)
how i convert.
thank you ...

Reaction score
My problem was my mb was overspec than it was so win10 wouldn't install. after 3 months I found that I had to drop the ram multiplier to a lower timing then my win10 installed I have no idea what gpt even means. you see I had 4 8g sticks of ram =32gb ram at max spec wouldn't run but 2x16 - 32gb ram would have run at max spec don't ask me why so with the 4x8gb I just dropped the timing clock for the ram speed by one setting and win 10 installed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
My problem was my mb was overspec than it was so win10 wouldn't install. after 3 months I found that I had to drop the ram multiplier to a lower timing then my win10 installed I have no idea what gpt even means. you see I had 4 8g sticks of ram =32gb ram at max spec wouldn't run but 2x16 - 32gb ram would have run at max spec don't ask me why so with the 4x8gb I just dropped the timing clock for the ram speed by one setting and win 10 installed.
I had a similar problem a few years back with BSODs that I was having at the time, which turned out to be an issue with Memory settings (timings and speed)
https://windowsforum.com/threads/my-bsod-odyssey.115660/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
hello
l have same problem ( I have no operating system installed in my laptop. because i formatted partition C: )
BUT I INSERT CD WITH windows. 7 in case of bios legacy. just appear recovery screen with a message. -winload.exe is missing-
but in uefi i insert windows 10 cd it work but i find ( you must convert to gpt)
how i convert.
thank you ...
C:\ is likely a "partition" on your physical drive.
IF there are no other partitions on the drive containing any data that you want to save then.....
You can simply use the DiskPart utility to "clean" the entire drive leaving nothing but unallocated space and your Windows 10 installation media should work.
UEFI requires GPT and Windows 10 will generate the requisite configuration upon install.
Just use Shift + F10 keyboard combination on the installers first page to launch the command prompt.
Then exit the command prompt and install in the unallocated space.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en

NOTE: There are multiple warnings on that page regarding the dangers of DiskPart but just in case you don't see all the RED WARNINGS...…
Diskpart Erase/Clean will permanently erase/destroy all data on the selected drive. Please make certain that you are erasing the correct disk.
Remove all additional drives from the computer excluding the drive you are booting from and the drive you want to Erase/Clean.

Last edited:

Ask a Question