SOLVED Error Code 0xc0000225

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a new member and this is my first thread.
My wife's ASUS laptop had Windows 8 on it when purchased. We soon "upgraded" it to Windows 10.
It took a bit of fiddling around, but it has been working fine.
Just the other day, when turned on, the laptop started up to the desktop and seems to be frozen.
The error code (as above) on a blue screen comes up periodically.
I have tried some of the "fixes" as described in the user forum, but none work yet.
The remedies I've seen on the net suggest using the Windows 10 DVD/usb to restart the computer.
Where can I get a DVD or usb of Windows 10?

Thanks in anticipation
Barefoot1

Reaction score
Thanks Regedit32,

I'll give that link a try tomorrow ant you know it goes.

Thank you.
Hi Barefoot,

Microsoft off the ISO for download.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-Eh31ASW_R6aUfWOnIZhIgw)()

Information on that page to help create a USB version if wanted.

Regards,

Regedit32
Thanks Regedit32,

All resolved.
I downloaded the link, copied it to a USB and plugged it into the affected laptop.
It seemed to take control and sort itself out.
All I had to do was click on "next" every so often.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
All is normal now.

Reaction score
Hi Barefoot,

Microsoft off the ISO for download.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/sof...459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-Eh31ASW_R6aUfWOnIZhIgw)()

Information on that page to help create a USB version if wanted.

Regards,

Regedit32

What happens when a ISO file doesn't fix your problem, I have no partition on my Hdd, DVD and ISO won't create a partition the new Graphics card didn't fix the problem but it does atleast match my M/B now I have a 500w PSU a AsRock 980de3/u3s3 r2.0 motherboard, Graphics card is Asus nvidia Geforce GT730, 4 hdd's none will install windows, 2 mobile racks and 2 dvd burners, CPU is a FX8370 and I have 32gb kingston ram and my OS is windows 10 64bit and it stops installing at winload.exe. I haven't found anything yet that will help me with this in 3 forums.

Bios time is correct. bios set to ahci think they are the correct letters ide is disabled bios finda drives and boot drive no problem most settings are enabled or auto power settings are disabled most of them as is boot from keyboard mouse lan etc. The computer itself seems to run nicely but won't do windows 10.

Even Microsoft tried and couldn't help me.

Do you think my PSU is big enough to run windows installer?

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Bill,

PSU ought to be fine. I have Windows 10 64-bit Home edition running fine on a machine with a 300W PSU.

Two things that could prevent an Installer running properly are an out dated BIOS, which you could resolve by checking and if available updating your BIOS, or the partition you are trying to install to is not active, which would require you to manage the partition and mark as active.

The other possibility is some how the boot record is damaged in which case you'd need to run a repair disk, and then via the Advanced Options run the Command Prompt then execute a series of commands like so:
  • At the prompt type: bootrec /scanos then press Enter key to execute.
  • When completed at the prompt type: bootrec /rebuildbcd then press Enter key to execute.
  • When completed at the prompt type: bootrec /fixmbr then press Enter key to execute.
  • When completed at the prompt type: bootrec /fixboot then press Enter key to execute.
If you created an install device using the media creation tool then you could double check the drivers for that device are up to date. Thus if you chose DVD / CD then check the ROM drivers are the latest, or if you created a USB Flash drive, then check the USB drivers are up to date.

You could also consider trying something other that Microsoft's Media Creation tool to create a new disk, for example Rufus: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Reaction score
I can't run a repair disk, command prompt doesn't work. and I recently got a message bootmgr image is corupt and I don't know if this is disk, dvd or bios, I have never updated a bios I tried with this but it never worked. I'm thinking throw $$$ at a technition as its getting to me. I went from win 98 to win 7 got lazy as it was bullet proof now back to winxp while i try to get this running my dos book dosen't cover these new commands. I might just stick to xp its user friendly,,,ok enough so I'll put a partition active on HDD tomorrow can't do it today as my win 10 laptop is coping my music files to a flash drive and it will be about 24 hours 240gb si I might go fishing tomorrow and forget the computer see ya in a couple of days.

Reaction score
All these people have being telling me the software would partition the hdd so this is incorrect is it? I should partition the hdd make it active and format it ntfs is this correct should i make a 450mb partition for the recovery partition to is the size also correct?

Reaction score
Partitioned the drive as primary and formatted and no change to error codes still nothing so next week it can go to repairer.

Reaction score
Tried again can upgrade bios with instant flash to bios 2.0 from bios 1.0 bios 1.0 isn't even listed as a bios suppose to be 1.10 the first bios?

Reaction score
0xc0000225 0xc0000221 0xc0000098 Error Codes.

Ok got it working,
1. A 980de3/u3s3 is a different Motherboard to a 980de3/u3s3 R2.0
2. It has different drivers and different Bios Files
3. the R2.0 is the newer MB
4. I upgraded the bios to the latest Bios then on reboot I had a checksum error
5. I have removed 3 sticks of ram and also all the other devices
6. Bios settings I set to optinal then in storage selected the AHCI i think and disabled the ide side of things- could have chosen IDE but could incur errors later if I selected ide.
Did a custom install easiest install ever. now I have weeks of work infront of me to get it up to speed

Reaction score
OK when I loaded up the ram again I found that the 2 and fourth ram slots are faulty I switched the ram around etc all four sticks of ram work but only 2 off the 4 ram slots work.

Reaction score
0xc0000225, 0xc0000221, 0xc0000098 error codes SOLVED.

OK my Motherboard is working all four ram now what it was was the ram timing I was trying to run 4 sticks of ram at 933mhz DDR3 1866 and the windows wouldn't boot but 2 sticks of 8gb ram @ 9333mhz x 1866 would boot giving me a total of 16gb
I have altered the memory clock in the memory configuration section of the bios to 4 sticks of ram 933mhz ddr3 x 1866 but setting the memory clock to 4 sticks of ram 800mhz x 1600 totaling 32gb of ram.

NOW the question is is 16gb ram faster at 933mhz x 1866 than 32gb running at 800mhz x 1600 I am pretty sure the 800mhz x 1600 would be more stable.

I guess the best setup for this 980de/u3s3 r2.0 Asrock MB would be to install two 16gb DDR3 running 933mhz x 1866 to get the optimal performence without passing out when trying to load windows.

Caution: when cmos batteries get flat remember the bios settings will change and these error codes will show again until the bios is reset with a new battery as well.

Ask a Question