SOLVED Error Code 38 for USB Devices

Reaction score
In the last 10 days I encountered with a problem for some of the USB devices that can not be recognized by Windows, after unplugging them from PC.

- It happens to USB HDDs, USB flash drives & USB modems. (& doesn't happen for non-data-based USB devices like mouse & keyboard &...)

- The USB device shows a yellow triangle in the device manager with this error inside:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because a previous instance of the device driver is still in memory. (Code 38)"

- Disabling or uninstalling the device driver won't work.

- The only thing that works is to restarting the PC, that it's not a good solution, when I don't want to restart my PC every few hours!

- I tried booting my PC in safe mode & cleaned the registry there, but it doesn't helped.

- Using hardware troubleshooting for problematic USB drives, doesn't helped too.

- I even used an app named "USB Oblivion" for cleaning the previous instances of USB device drivers, but it doesn't helped too.

- I have an up-to-date version of Windows 10 Pro. (19043.1503)

Please gives me solutions, so I can fix this problem.

Reaction score
OK, I found the problem & fixed it.

The problem is related to a bug in the free edition of Bitdefender antivirus.

Uninstalling the Bitdefender, solved the problem.

Ask a Question