Error msg 0xc0000225

Reaction score
iI switched out the HD that came with a Lenova G51 with a SSD 128 GB after transferring the data. I started the laptop and received the following error msg 0xc0000225. Your PC/Device needs to be repaired. A required device isn't connected. error code 0xc0000225.

What do I need to do?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Ray,

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm a little confused by your opening thread, so it would be helpful if you could clarify things.

You say you cloned hdd to sdd then switched drives, and now upon rebooting get the 0xc0000225 error.

What I am wondering is whether you had installed the SSD to your laptop first before cloning; and also whether you used cloning software provided by Lenova or a third party application instead.

The general rule of thumb when swapping from hdd to sdd is:
  1. Install SDD to a drive bay on the laptop and install associated software drivers etcerera.
  2. With the HDD either on a secondary drive bay or attached now via a USB port clone the image using the software provided, in your case, by Lenova.

Is that what you did?

The actual error code itself implies one of three things:
  • System files corrupted (i.e. The Windows Operating System files needed for booting are likely corrupted)
  • System Image Corrupted (i.e. The cloned image is corrupt)
  • The drive itself is damaged or not correctly connected

I'm sure many on our Forum can help you sort this out once you clarify precisely how to went about your clone and swapping of drives.

Personally, though, if I were doing this, I'd do a clean install of Windows 10 on the SSD, then connect the HDD via USB and transfer any files, third party application setup files, etcetera I wanted from previous installation later.

Ask a Question