Event ID 10016 - DistributedCOM

Event ID 10016 - DistributedCOM

Reaction score
I think I got it as I was now able to assign FULL CONTROL & READ as shown. Sorry I didn't get back to ya sooner I've had the flu & haven't felt well at all. Hope I got this right, Here is a screen shot:

Attachments

• Assign.jpg
    Assign.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 798

Regedit32

Reaction score
Yes that is correct.

You need to do that to the other Hive I mentioned too.

When you've done that let me know and I'll walk you through how to deal with the DCOM

Reaction score
Okay, I think I got it right again but it did come up with a different owners each time. I'll show you that in the next 2 pic's!
{4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}

{6B3B8D23-FA8D-40B9-8DBD-B950333E2C52}

I hope I got this right! :) I guess I did get them both the same after I looked at them once again so I guess I did something right or at least I sure hope so!

Attachments

• 4839.jpg
    4839.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 776
  • 6B3B.jpg
    6B3B.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 722

Regedit32

Reaction score
So long as you're signed in as Administrator you ought to be able now to access the DCOM and sought it out.
  • Press Windows key + R to open the run dialog
  • In the run dialog type the following:
Code:
dcomcnfg

Press Enter key or click OK

The Component Services
window will open like so

img9.png
  • In the left pane double-left-click on Component Services to expand
  • Next in the left pane double-left-click on Computers
  • Finally in the left pane left-click on My Computer to view its contents in the middle pane
Sample Image

img10.png
  • In the middle pane double-left-click on DCOM Config folder
  • Next in the top toolbar click View > Detail
Sample Image

img11.png
  • In the middle pane scroll down and locate ShellServiceHost
Note: There are two ShellServiceHost so you need to select the one with the GUID matching your Application ID. In this case that GUID will be {4839DDB7-58C2-48F5-8283-E1D1807D0D7D}

Sample Image

img12.png
  • Right-click on this ShellServiceHost and select Properties then in the window that opens select the Security tab
This will result in the following display:

img13.png

In the top panel named Launch and Activation Permissions click the Edit button
  • This will open the following window:
img14.png

Click the Add button and just as you did with your two registry hives, select the Username you granted ownership of the Registry keys and add this to the list you can see in the top pane.

Once added, left-click on the username you just added, then check the four boxes beneath the Allow column and click OK

Finally, left-click
on System and check the four boxes below Allow column are also checked.

That's it. All done, and if you wish you can now return to the Registry Editor and restore the permissions back to the TrustedInstaller.

Note: You'll need to restart computer a few times to clear the current stored events and allow time for things to stabilize, but you should ultimately see a reduction in the error reporting and for this particular instance.

Reaction score
Well, I failed at getting it to work! I followed the steps one by one to be certain I did it correctly & I still get the same error as before ( DAM )! I restarted it several times & still no change so I went back & did it all over again & the timestamp still shows the error. I would be MORE than excited to allow you to do a remote & if you have a PayPal I would gladly drop you $50 for your time! I use TeamViewer13 so as to be secure if your interested!! I'm at a TOTAL LOSS on why this didn't work, I must have done something wrong! I wouldn't hold you responsible in any manner if something went wrong ( ZERO LIABILITY )!
Yeap, I'm 100% confused as to why this didn't work!

Attachments

• event log.txt
    80 bytes · Views: 783
  • Recap.jpg
    Recap.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 733

Regedit32

Reaction score
That image is different again to the one I was helping you with.

The Class and App ID in your event log text file are for the RuntimeBroker

If you go to your Registry, take ownership of these two new GUIDS in your event log, then go to Component Services and add your username and set it to Allow you ought to rid yourself of this error too.

Reaction score
Okay, I did the Runtime Broker as told & I got the following error's.
I tried everything but come up short. No matter what I did I still have the 10016 error as shown in the pic below & I didn't know if I was supposed to record or not as shown in the one pic so I simply selected no.

Attachments

• New Error 1.jpg
    New Error 1.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 788
  • Error 2.jpg
    Error 2.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 717
  • Origional instructions error.jpg
    Origional instructions error.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 889
  • Same result.jpg
    Same result.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 795
Reaction score
Okay, I guess it's time for me to start over from the start. I get the following 2 DCOM errors:
{D63B10C5-BB46-4990-A94F-E40B9D520160}
{9CA88EE3-ACB7-47C8-AFC4-AB702511C276}
As shown in the event viewer, ( named 22618 below ).
I assume I have missed something so I will start from the start!

Attachments

• Event Log 22618.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 747
Reaction score
Hi Regedit32, I'm a newbie here as well, but consider myself a pretty competent user.

My computer often, randomly, reboots sometime after starting and, usually in the middle of things!!, and this {4839DDB7 ...D7D} comes up in the system faults as does the {D63B10C5 .. 276}.

I applied the changes here to the letter. However I now have no access to any folders on my desktop - dbl-click to open and I have the msg saying I don't have the appropriate permissions to open them; the menu doesn't come up at all, nor Explorer in the task bar, and a number of other things and programs don't work. I don't think I changed anything else.

My System Restore (I do it quite regularly) comes up with this message attached, so looks like I'm screwed. Interestingly, the log-in window has changed and now only allows password as against pass-phrase, which I prefer. Do you have any suggestions before I refresh windows? Is the refresh component of windows 10 Home any good?

ps I'm sure it's something I did and I appreciate the time and effort you put in to help everyone.

Thank you
Capture.JPG Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hello! Thank you for posting this walkthrough. I have a problem, though: I had two separate pairs of CSID and APPIDs which were causing the errors. I went through the whole process seamlessly with the first pair, but then when I tried with the second pair, I got to the step where I needed to change the local activation permission, and of course the boxes were all greyed out. I double checked to see if I had given Administrators ownership of the two domains in RegEdit and had given Administrator full control of each as well. I checked the box, did everything the same, but nonetheless it still doesn't give me the option to change it. Oddly enough the Edit box is not greyed out, but when I click on it the boxes to make any changes or add or remove users are still greyed out so it comes to the same. Any idea why I might be having this problem? The app I'm working with is ShellServiceHost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, small point of confusion with your instructions -- you say to copy and paste the two commands into the command line: reg query "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}" /ve and reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AppID\{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}" /ve. I was really confused because you just say to copy and paste this, but you don't mention that I need to change the CSID and AppID to fit my error message. That ended up taking like fifteen minutes of outside research for me to figure out that's what I needed to do.

Reaction score
Was stuck on this error from 3 days, followed every instruction and it worked like a charm. Thanks man for your help and this tutorial. You saved my money.

Ask a Question