Everything gray and hard to read

Reaction score
Hallo.

I have not changed my settings in perzonalisation or done anything, but all of a sudden everything is gray and bright and even what I'm now typing is so hard to read and / or see. Its very thing and light. I have tried changing colour, clear text, brightness, contrast.....nothing helps and its driving me insane. Its not just when I'm on the internet but on my whole computer.
CAn anyone pliz help me?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
all of a sudden everything is gray and bright
Have you tried a system restore point, to a point in time, just prior to the problem first occurring?
Does you monitor / display have its' own adjustment for contrast and brightness?
What video adapter are you using and which driver version and date do you have installed?

Reaction score
Have you tried a system restore point, to a point in time, just prior to the problem first occurring?
Does you monitor / display have its' own adjustment for contrast and brightness?
What video adapter are you using and which driver version and date do you have installed?

Hallo and thank you for answering :)
I tried restore, does not help. I can manually adjust brightness and contrast, does not do anything when changing that. Its like the graffics on the pictures are like..... have a metallic bright glans to them. I tried updating the driver for the graphic card, but did not change anything. ANd I have no idea about the video adapter. I'm not really good with computers, but I just know a little. Any help will be much appreciated!

Reaction score
I took screec shots so you can see how light gray and hard it is to read. And that pic of my dog should be crystal clear, but its all bright like its been taken with a blitz and its also have this weird shine to it. All my pictures are like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 582
  • Screenshot_2.jpg
    Screenshot_2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 531
  • Screenshot_3.jpg
    Screenshot_3.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 532

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since the images that you've attached look, more or less, fine to me.
Do you have a means of testing your computer with another monitor, just to see if that makes any difference in what you are observing?

Reaction score
On my system the third image only shows the very top of the screen. Do you have the magnifier on or do you have some other utility which might be covering the screen? Maybe some type of screen capture utility?

Reaction score
Do you have a means of testing your computer with another monitor, just to see if that makes any difference in what you are observing?

Hallo. No, I don't. It's a laptop.
The pictures should be sharp and good graphics, but they are covered in like a soap opera mist or grey cover. It was not like that before. Can I attach another monitor to my laptop?

Reaction score
On my system the third image only shows the very top of the screen. Do you have the magnifier on or do you have some other utility which might be covering the screen? Maybe some type of screen capture utility?
Well, I have like a screen capture app. But I have to turn that on for it to cover the screen. And when I turn it on I can't move or do anything as it freezes so I can take a screen shot. But I will try to uninstall it when I get home to see. Thank you, I hope that does it !

Reaction score
And lol, I checked the photos now with my phone and they look normal. But from my laptop it's horrible!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Many laptops have function keys that when used with the keys along the top row on your keyboard have the ability to adjust contrast and brightness.
Additionally, since it is a laptop you may want to take a look at your advanced power options with respect to adaptive brightness.
OR
You may have to check with the laptop manufacturer's support site and download and install the driver for your video adapter.

Reaction score
This really has nothing to do with contrast settings, or any of the other settings because there is no setting for this in office 365 outlook. The text is a lighter gray than what microsoft is using everywhere else, which is ridiculous to begin with. I have apps to darken the text and increase contrast and neither can touch the barely visible text I'm supposed to be able to read.This is a design FLAW. If the designers like it so much, whatever, but add a feature to make the text more readable for those who do not like to have to strain to read something because someone else thinks it's more "attractive". This should be in text design 101.

Reaction score
I agree with Shary! Having spent HOURS tweaking every conceivable option, this is clearly a design FLAW. If the designers like it so much they should keep it to themselves, but save the rest of us the trouble trying to having to strain our eyes to read something just because someone else thinks it's more "attractive". This should be in text design 101! Please take corrective action.

Ask a Question