Expanding Start Screen Tiles Icon Display

Reaction score
When I click on the Start Icon (Windows Icon bottom left) I get the list of icons for the programs on my computer. I see a display for only 4 columns of icons. There is only one scroll bar on the right, that is all. To see all other program icons I have to scroll down. If I place the mouse cursor on the right edge of this scroll bar I get a "two" arrow icon indicating that I "could" expand my display of program icons horizontally to see more than 4 columns. But, this does not work. Why is it I cannot display more than 4 columns, there is a full half of a screen where I could expand but it does not work.
Does this have anything to do with the display settings I have selected for my monitor screen? At the moment my screen resolution is set at 1366 X 768 (the one I want to always use for some of my selected programs). My display adapter is: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320.
Or is there some other way to expand my Start screen on my monitor?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Tegiro,

You are correct, it is possible to expand the Start Screen Horizontally to allow more icon columns.

It's a little buggy though, and I find if you left-click-hold and drag about an inch it seems to work, then repeat until you have desired width. Sometimes if you drag too far out or too far back in one go it does not change.

Just experiment with shorter drags.

Reaction score
Sorry, but the left click or even the right click does not do the trick, no matter how small I try to expand the field.

Reaction score
Left click doesn't work any more. Go to Settings > Personalization > Start > select (turn ON) "Show more tiles" you can also select "Use start full screen"

Reaction score
Norton,
Sorry, that doesn't work also. Yes, it does show more tiles when I use the "Use start full Screen", but I don't like the screen display it presents. I've tried many resolutions but none allow me to expand the scree.
Strange that my Toshiba laptop which has identical settings shows 9 columns of tiles across the screen, 3 columns of 3 tiles each.
I've matched the settings side by side with my laptop and for the love of me I can't see why my computer is locked to just 3 columns.
Strange, eh!

Reaction score
Yes it's strange. Mine displays the 6 columns (2x3 tiles) I can left click and expand vertically not horizontally. Maybe it's a graphics card property?

Reaction score
It looks like it could be graphic cards.

PC= NVIDIA GeForce GT 320.
Laptop= Intel HD Graphics 4000

Not finding a solution I will have to live with what I have.
Thanks for helping out anyway.
Cheers

Reaction score
Make sure you drag the right side of the menu far enough to the right. It may not shift until you have it a considerable way across the screen. It all depends on resolution and the tiles you have displayed.

Reaction score
Make sure you drag the right side of the menu far enough to the right. It may not shift until you have it a considerable way across the screen. It all depends on resolution and the tiles you have displayed.

I've somehow managed to expand it. But it is sporadic. Have not been able to do so again, hmmmp! Must have something to do with the graphics card.

Ask a Question