External Drive Keeps Disk Manager From Working

Reaction score
I have a 2TB Seagate external USB drive. Until recently I could access the files and folders saved on it via my Dell Windows 10 computer. Now when I plug it in, the file explorer sees that the drive is there, but only recognized the free space - not the used space. When I try to access the drive, it gives an error something like drive path inaccessible, hardware fault. (I don't remember the exact words and can't repeat it at the moment as I am scanning the drive for problems.) Using a Seagate troubleshooting tool, I have not found nothing wrong with the drive but am running an extended test right now. The Windows Device Manager show it to be ok, but when I try to open the Windows Disk Manager, it fails to populate a list. If I unplug the drive, Disk Manager works fine. It also does not show up it the Windows Action Center when I plug it in. No box pops up asking what I want to do with the drive. Could a reformat help the drive or is it something else? Is it something else entirely? Thanks.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Could a reformat help the drive or is it something else? Is it something else entirely?
Couldn't say for sure.
I think I would probably test it by trying it on another computer
I'd probably also have a look using DiskPart to see what it sees
List Disk
Select Disk (x) based on the results of list disk
List Partition
AND
List Volume
might also help

Additionally you might want to try booting your machine outside of the OS with something like
https://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
That might help provide some additional insight.

Reaction score
My drive seems to still be OK. If it is showing odd things make sure it is showing online and try not connecting it until after you boot.

If that doesn't work, eject the drive then go into Device Management and show the hidden devices. Uninstall the device there, if it shows up, and then try again.

I do not use the proprietary software from Seagate.

SEAExt.JPG

Ask a Question