Failure to download email attachments

Reaction score
I have recently received four emails with attachments that have failed to download. The attachment icon is in place but at the bottom the notice 'download filed' appears. Does anyone have a helpful suggestion?

Reaction score
Thanks for offering help.
My email account with Hotmail was automatically transferred from Windows 7 to Windows 10. That is about the sum total of what I know! I have not had previous problems with the downloading of attachments apart from where I might not have had a program that can read an attachment.
Selwyn Lewis

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried it but when I right click the message 'download. appears. When I click on it the message 'download failed' appears again.
You are correct I am using the mail app in Widows 10 to access Hotmail. It is a big improvement on other versions I have used before.
Thanks again and look forward to your response.
Selwyn

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not a heavy user of the new Mail App, but in my testing I discover that
When I actually double click the email message in my inbox that has an attachment to open the actual email rather than view in in preview pane and then right click the attachment included in the email I get these two options
as depicted in the image below. I do not see or get an option to download.

MailAppAttachment.png

Have you checked the Store App to see if you have any App updates pending
They should automatically download but it might be worth investigating.

Reaction score
Sorry, I'm not a heavy user of the new Mail App, but in my testing I discover that
When I actually double click the email message in my inbox that has an attachment to open the actual email rather than view in in preview pane and then right click the attachment included in the email I get these two options
as depicted in the image below. I do not see or get an option to download.

View attachment 1546

Have you checked the Store App to see if you have any App updates pending
They should automatically download but it might be worth investigating.

Reaction score
Thanks once again for your efforts to sort out my problem. Unfortunately your observations do not coincide with mine. When I open the mail app. the inbox appears on the left and when I highlight the required mail it contains two small icons, delete and flag. If I right click on the body of the email I get two further options appearing, mark as unread and move. On the right hand side of the screen appears the opened email which shows the icon for an attachment with the wording download failed. I have tried right and left clicks on the icon and after a brief pause the same message appears. I have checked to see if any updates are pending, but there was nothing there.
I look forward to receiving another email with an attachment to see if the download fails again

Reaction score
The fault maybe at the source - Hotmail. Go direct, (it is now Outlook .com)
Sign in and press the small cogwheel, top right.
Go to filters and reporting
Go down to Block content from unknown senders
Click the first item (Show..etc..)

See if that loosens it up.

Reaction score
Thanks once again for your help. After I wrote my last reply, I thought to try to open another earlier attachment that I KNOW had worked. It resulted in the same 'not downloaded' message appearing. So there is a problem there somewhere.
I tried your suggestions but did not get filters and reporting appearing on the screen. However, you have at least helped with your suggestion because I was able to access my emails AND to open and print several attachments. So they are still there and nothing has been lost, yet!

Reaction score
Hello Dave,
It has gone quiet but I have still continued with my attempts to remedy the problem, but with no success. I DID eventually find the route you suggested, filters and reporting and the first item was already checked. I am still able to access the attachments view outlook.com, so the problem seems to be with the windows mail app.
Selwyn

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I will delay the deletion of the mail app in the hope that someone eventually will be able to suggest a remedy.
Selwyn

Ask a Question