Favorites files

Reaction score
Hello all. I am a new and very reluctant user (victim?) of Windows 10. My last computer ran Windows 7. I copied my favorites list onto a thumb drive and used File Explorer to drop them into the favorites folder in Users>User>Favorites. Opening Edge and then opening the Favorites list wouldn't show them until I "imported" them. That was done and they showed up but they are obviously working from another file folder now. Going to the favorites folder via File Explorer I can make changes but the changes don't show up on the Favorites list. Likewise, changes made via the Favorites list don't show up in the favorites folder. Can anyone tell me where these files are hidden? Thanks for your help!

Reaction score
Hi, Windows 10 can be daunting at first in comparison, but trust me, it will get better for you! Once you learn all the tips and shortcuts it has.

The issue you are facing here is how Edge started handling favourites. They are now stored in an encrypted database rather than folders. This is why you won't see the change. That being said, Internet Explorer still pulls them in so you could try pasting your favourites into the %userprofile%\favorites as you say you have done, and then going into Edge > Importing bookmarks from another browser and choosing IE.

The path to the database is here: %localappdata%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore

The file is called spartan.edb

Unfortunately this means you can't manage your favourites by the file system anymore.

I hope this answers your question!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info, it answers the question but doesn't solve the problem. I guess victim was the proper term after all. Why in hell would Microsoft change something like this when it severely limits usability and offers no discernable advantage? Why does a favorites list warrant encryption?

If I switch to another browser (Chrome, Firefox) will they operate from the favorites folder like they should?

Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
This isn't an official answer but I'd say it's probably because Microsoft are going down the route of having multiple devices.

Firefox and Chrome work in the same way - so they have databases (in Chromes case it's a file called Bookmarks) and inside it's a list of the date added, name of bookmark, url etc.
The aim is, you add your account to the browser, then any device you sign into will also pull those bookmarks - so it syncs across your devices. Laptop, phone, tablet etc.

The reason this works better is because the file containing the data is stored in a particular format, which the browser can render quickly and can be manipulated easier (add/removal). So when the browser needs to sync, it will only need to pull that file into the cloud. It then downloads it to wherever you may sync to. Meaning it works on things like Linux where the file system is different. So when you import, the browser will simply convert them into additional entries in that document.

:)

Reaction score
Thanks Jason, I appreciate all the info. Unfortunately, none of it solves the problems. I guess I'll have to start looking at Linux!
Every time I log into something a box opens up offering to remember the password. Is there any way to block that? Thanks again!

Reaction score
If this is still in Edge, you can go into the settings and under the passwords section there should be a check box for 'Offering to remember passwords' - toggle that and you should be fine!

Hope you find your solution.

Ask a Question