SOLVED favourites list icons

Reaction score
When I click on favourites, I could always see the correct icon next to the page,,, now all I get is the IE icon for all of them, I have tried deleting the favourite and re saving it, but still only get the IE icon.... any help would be appreciated, it is so annoying when things change and don't know why, or how to fix,,,,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Which browser are you using when the Internet Explorer favicon is substituting for the usual favicons?
  • Internet Explorer 11
  • Firefox
  • Chrome
  • Microsoft Edge
  • Something else?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Roxane,

There are two steps to this. The first step is relatively simple.

The second step though requires closing the Windows Explorer shell which will cause Desktop and the Taskbar to darken so you will need to carefully following instructions in Step 2.

Step 1
  • Close all instances of IE 11 and/or any other web browser you are using.
  • Right-click on Start then left-click on Run
  • In the Run dialog type the following:

inetcpl.cpl

Click OK to execute

This will open Internet Properties window. Click Delete button

That will open the Delete Browsing History window. Check boxes as in sample image below:

delete.png

Note: If you wish to can also check Passwords although it's not necessary

With boxes checked click Delete button.

The window will close revealing Internet Properties window. Click Apply, then click OK.

Step 2

Note: This is the step where you will need to temporarily close the Windows Explorer shell which will cause your Desktop and Taskbar to darken. This is normal.
  • Right-click on Taskbar and select Task Manager
  • In the Task Manager window click on Processes tab then scroll down and locate Windows Explorer

Sample image of what to look for:

explorer2.png

• Right-click on Windows Explorer and select End task
  • Next in top left corner of Task Manager window click File and select Run new task

This opens the Create new task window where you will type cmd.exe and check the box next to Create this task with administrative privileges like the sample image below:

delete2.png

• Click OK
  • The Administrator: Command Prompt window will open. At this prompt type the following:

Code:
    cd /d %localappdata%

Press Enter key to execute command.

Next type the following:

Code:
    attrib -h iconcache.db

Next type the following:

Code:
    del iconcache.db

Next type the following:

Code:
    explorer.exe

Press Enter key to execute. Your Desktop and Taskbar will now restart.

Finally, type exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt window.

• Close the Task Manager window.
  • Close any other open programs.
  • Shutdown computer, then restart so the System can rebuild the iconcache.db file.

All going well those icons will be back to normal.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32 thank you so much for the clear instructions... I used my laptop so I could read them, while working on my main pc,,, I was concerned about doing stuff like this, if something went wrong would not know how to fix it. but each step you gave me was exact...... and yes, it has all gone back to normal.....

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you Roxane for letting me know how you went.

It's appreciated as others with the same trouble can take some confidence seeing a rather lengthy resolution will ultimately prove worth their effort should they too wish to try and self repair their issue.

I'm glad it all worked fine for you. Nice idea, by the way, to have laptop with instructions while you worked on the PC :)

It's unclear what causes the IconCache.db to corrupt, but occasionally this will occur. Generally, the above steps will resolve issues for the Internet Explorer browsers for most versions. In time it may also work with Microsoft Edge once they release further extension supports for the new browser.

Ask a Question