SOLVED I cannot import all pages from IE Favourites into Edge Favourites

Reaction score
I'm am having some more problems when importing all my favourites from IE to Edge. When I look at my favourites in the drop down box tree, it seems all the folders are there, but not all the web links in the folders. Many folders are empty. Also, when I go right down the bottom of the tree, it shows a folder called "Imported from Internet Explorer." This folder has all the folders and links etc. I'm confused, because the main favourites at the top only has imported some web links, but the folder that says "Imported from Internet Explorer" has them all. Also, when I do try to save a web page into my favourites, it won't save. Please help me again. God bless, and Cheers.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi acerguy,

Yes that is how Edge Works.

When you click the Favorites Star icon you choose whether you want to add the current webpage to your Favorites. So for example below I have opened Yahoo's webpage in New Zealand, so when I click the Star icon a window pops up saying the Name and by default has chosen Favorites as the location to save in:

Sample image

fav.png

At this point you can edit the name to whatever you want, then in the Save in box you can click the drop arrow to select a Folder you may have all ready created that you wish to save the link in. If you have not yet made a folder to save the link in you can instead click the Create new folder just beneath the Save in box. This will display a third box: Folder name where you can enter a name for your folder, then click Add button This will add the Folder to your Favorites and the web link will be inside that folder.

Note: A great feature here is if you all ready have added the web page to your Favorites at some other time Edge remembers this and when you click the Star icon you will not see the Create new folder link because the web page all ready exists in your Favorites. This saves you accidentally adding multiple entries for the same web page to your Favorites.

Now to the importing of Favorites from Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Firefox browsers. To do this you:
  • Click the three horizontal line icon in top right toolbar
  • This opens Favorites. Here at top right click Settings
  • This opens the Favorites Settings window.

Here you can choose to turn on the Favorite bar which when on will display at top of your Edge browser. You can add links to this bar you use a lot, such as a bank website, this forum, etcetera, which saves time trying to find the link in a long list of Favorites.

Just beneath that is the three Browser options you can import from; Internet Explorer, Chrome and Firefox. Simply check the box next to the Browser you wish to import its Favorites from to your Edge Favorites. Then click the Import button.

When you do that a new folder is added to your Edge Favorites folder. So if for example you chose Internet Explorer to import from you will see a new folder named Imported from Internet Explorer.

This folder will contain all the links and any sub-folders you created when using Internet Explorer.

Note: At the moment when you add a new web page to Favorites, or Import Favorites from another browser, this is automatically place at the bottom of Edge's Favorites list.

OK so we've imported Internet Explorer Favorites. If you are like me you may have many links and sub-folders inside the Imported from Internet Explorer, but they may not be arranged in Alphabetical Order so it can take a while to find what you want at times. The good news is in Edge you simply click that Three Horizontal line icon to view Favorites then scroll down and right-click on the Imported from Internet Explorer folder and select Sort by name.

Now when you open that folder everything will be in alphabetical order with sub-folders listed alphabetically first, then any loose links you never added to a sub-folder, alphabetically listed beneath those other sub-folders.

Now I do not know how many sub-folders you may have all ready created in Edge's Favorites, but let';s just assume you create five folders. At the moment your Imported from Internet Explorer folder may be the last folder or it may even be way down the bottom of your Favorites list beneath some loose links. If you would like to keep this folder but have it at top of Favorites or just a little further up simply left-click-and hold mouse button down on Imported from Internet Explorer folder, then move mouse cursor to the location in Favorites list you want to see this folder and then release mouse button.

If on the other hand you do not want to keep the Imported from Internet Explorer folder at all, but would rather move its contents either just into Favorites, or into a sub-folder you all ready created in Favorites simply left-click the imported from Internet Explorer folder to open it, then left-click-and hold mouse button down on a link or sub-folder inside the folder you just opened, then move mouse cursor to a location in your Edge Favorites you want it then release mouse button.

Note: If you want to move a link or sub-folder from the Imported from Internet Folder to a sub-folder you all ready created in Edge's Favorites, do as above but release mouse button when cursor is hovering over the sub-folder you wish to move that link or sub-folder to.

Unfortunately, you can only move one link, sub-folder at a time, so this may take some time.

Tip! To save some time simply do as above but place those links anywhere outside of the imported from Internet Explorer folder, then when you are done, right-click on Imported from Internet Explorer folder and choose Delete. Then right-click on the first link in your Edge Favorites, not inside its own sub-folder and select Sort by name. Edge will alphabetically order all your sub-folders at top, then all loose links beneath these for you.

OK, I think I have covered everything. If not, just post a reply asking for more help on anything I forgot to mention all ready.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Thank you so much Regedit for your really good reply. It has explained it all for me sooo good. I have never had some thing explained so well before. I am doing now what you explained and most times it all works well. Some times it doesn't do what it's supposed to do, but I just keep at it. Take care, God bless, and thanks once again.

Ask a Question