File Explorer Hiccups

Reaction score
"Recently", [because I don't know if it started with 1903 or possibly before that] File Explorer has started to hiccup. The File Explorer list on the left side of the window opens and I select and start drilling into some [random] directory. Then, all of a sudden, the screen refreshes and I loose my place in the drill down, and have to go searching the list again for where I was when the 'refresh' happened.

The number of files and system configuration has not had any significant changes that I am aware of; only lots of Windows 10 and Norton routine updates.

Why would File Explorer start hiccuping in this way? What relevant factors might I investigate?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There was an old issue associate with file explorer behavior coupled with having a slide show background and may have also involved the setting that says "Automatically pick an accent color from my background"
I thought that, that had pretty much been resolved, but....
It wouldn't surprise me to see it again

Reaction score
On mine it seems to only affect the Navigation pane until I actually open a Folder on the right pane.

Reaction score
@Trouble, thanks so much for that insight. I had the same issue and it was really vexing me trying to figure out the source. File Explorer would jump to ~5% CPU every minute or two, which you wouldn't think should be an issue on a brand new machine running an SSD, but it routinely interfered with scrolling, spreadsheet editing, you name it.

I had desktop background scheduled to switch slides every minute, and had checked the "change color theme to match background."

Kept the slideshow, disabled color matching... problem solved. THANKS!!1!!!

Reaction score
Following up, I was distressed to see the hiccup problem return a few weeks later even after I disabled "adjust color theme". Second time around, it seemed even more random and it was giving me fits trying to figure out what was causing it. Nothing obvious was happening on the task manager. I tried updating my video drivers and also my mouse driver based on recommendations elsewhere.

Finally, I tried changing mice... and the problem vanished. Both mice were made by Dell, so try to figure that out!

Hope this helps others troubleshoot.

Reaction score
Finally, I tried changing mice... and the problem vanished. Both mice were made by Dell, so try to figure that out!
I think people will find products are labeled and sold by brands that contracted with companies that actually made them. The same thought applies to 'famous' singers whose name appeared on recordings as the author but it was part of the contract for recording those songs when the singers didn't write a word, just wanted credit but got a little money known as residuals.

Example: About 7 years ago I got a new HP Notebook on an offer for a free upgrade to a bigger HDD and more RAM. 2 days after the order I was notified it was shipped, 5 days later I got, came directly from the assembly plant in China, never was in HPs hands. [It's still a good machine.]

Last edited:

Ask a Question