File Explorer - Hover the mouse to select doesn't work

Reaction score
I want to select multiple files to copy them somewhere. In "the old days", I would hover the mouse over the first one - it would then get a nice blue background - and then either use CTRL to select others or SHIFT to select lots in one go.

Windows 10 - the only way I can find to select multiple files is to turn on the check button - and then you have to do each one individually (which is a pain if I want to select hundreds of files).

I have checked Control Panel -> File Explorer Options and it is set to single click to open an item and point to select.

So, what have I missed? Or is this now a new "feature"?

Any help appreciated.

regards

Alan

Reaction score
Update - it appears they are selected - it's just that there is nothing highlighted to say they are selected. I need to check my colour scheme, I guess.

EDIT - I can't find anything wrong - but selected files do not show as selected.

Help?????

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well it's working now. I haven't rebooted or anything - just hibernated overnight

Weird.

Alan

Ask a Question