SOLVED File History does not backup Desktop or files on Desktop

Reaction score
Hi.

Some files get backed up by File History but not Desktop or files on Desktop.
I have excluded Videos, Documents, Music and Pictures as I do not want these backed up with File History.

I have turned off File History and turned it back on again, reselected the backup drive F: and selected the only folder in File History...

However, Desktop is in my user profile...

What have I done incorrectly or not done correctly?
Thanks.

Attachments

• no-desktop-folder.jpg
    no-desktop-folder.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,008
  • one-folder-DESKTOP-QJDH3AG.jpg
    one-folder-DESKTOP-QJDH3AG.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 882
  • user profile folder.png
    user profile folder.png
    43 KB · Views: 908
Reaction score
PS: My pictures are getting saved by File History although I've excluded the Pictures folder and also deleted it from the "Settings" / "Update and Security" / "Backup" menu.

Reaction score
OK. I've discovered that the folder showing my Desktop is not the actual folder but links so ignore that picture, sorry.

Reaction score
Why not use a third party software to backup everything for your files? For example, AOMEI Backupper, you can download the free edition and it can solve almost all the backup problems for you, which is far beyond file backup. What's the most important is that it is more flexible than File History.

Reaction score
Thanks. I use True Image for partition backups. Backupper overkill. I'm trialling Goodsync just to backup Desktop files.

Reaction score
Goodsync is a bit sorry as it just backs up the file if it's changed and not keeping the old versions.

The Windows 10 upgrade has 'fixed' FileHistory and all changes to files are being backed up now true shadow copy style. It's not bad at all despite the forced upgrade [unless stopping it with a 3rd party program].

Ask a Question