File History D: Drive

Reaction score
I have my OS on an SSD, and have relocated all my user files to the D: drive in a folder called D:\User.

Using file history, I selected that folder (D:\User) for backup. It seems to me that it would pick up all the sub-folders, specifically,

D:\User\Documents
D:\User\Downloads
D:\User\Contacts
D:\User\Pictures
D:\User\Videos
D:\User\Music

Etc...

I would think that it would back up everything within D:\User, but it does not. In fact, it backs up nothing at all!

However, if I go in and add each of the sub-folders, File History DOES pickup all of the corresponding sub-sub-folders...

Huh? Why would it work like that?

Jim

Reaction score
I originally had the same problem. To resolve the issue I clicked on "Stop using drive"
Re-formatted the File History back up USB drive. Next I set up the same USB drive D:\
removed all of the files in the Add Folder. Next: Using File Explorer/User, I added "My Documents" Now under File History Backup Options + Add Folder, it displays the folder "Documents D:\ as the path, not D:\User\Documents as your drive does. I believe your backup sees no user for D:\ as D: hasn't been assigned a user. Works like a charm using the default back up every hour. FYI Should your backup drive (D:) be disconnected, Windows will continue to keep track of any changes to the selected backup files and back them up when it sees D:\ drive active.

BTW I only back up "My Documents" to an 8GB thumb drive, as it's the most used and changes regularly several times a day. For prying eyes the thumb drive is encrypted using Bit Locker should it fall into the wrong hands. The rest of the PC is backed up regularly using Acronis Imaging. By saving "My Docs" using File History ensures that I always have the most recent backup on hand between imaging my HD.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I had intended that it back up everything in the folder D:\User. Being weird like it is, it shows as:

User
D:\

And it does not see and back up the subfolders.

It seems I have no alternative but to add each of the user sub-folders separately. Easy enough, it just offends my sense of logic!

Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question