Re-select your file history drive

Reaction score
I haven't been on my computer for a couple of days; however, I have had it on. Tonight when I came to it there was a notification on my desktop that said:
Security and Maintenance
Reselect your file history drive.
We found errors in your file history settings. Tap or click to reselect your drive.

Could someone tell me what this means?

Is this associated with the built-in Windows backup?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Is this associated with the built-in Windows backup?
Yep..... you pretty much, nailed it

Capture.PNG

Perhaps the drive that's involved has been disconnected or assigned another drive letter or for some other reason has become generally unavailable??

Reaction score
It may have missed a couple of scheduled back ups. Also, your drive could be full, depending on its size and the back up data.

Reaction score
Yep..... you pretty much, nailed it

View attachment 4624

Perhaps the drive that's involved has been disconnected or assigned another drive letter or for some other reason has become generally unavailable??

I quit using this Windows Backup quite some time ago. I use Macrium. The external hard drive that I was using when I used the Windows Backup has all kinds of room on it. If it's definitely to do with that built in Windows Backup feature, then I would be safe to ignore this notification.

I thought I had it stopped, so that it was no longer backing up.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I thought I had it stopped, so that it was no longer backing up.
You can check by clicking the "More options" link within that interface that I posted in the image above.
IF you scroll down to the bottom you should see a "Stop using drive" button
OR
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\File History

Capture1.PNG

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help! I did not have this backup turned off as I thought. Now the question is, what does that notification mean?

I have over 800 GB free space on my drive. It said errors found on my history drive and I don't even know what that signifies. It also said to tap or click to re-select my drive. Tap or click what?

Last edited:

Ask a Question