File Management and Delete Duplicate Files ...

Reaction score
What app would you recommend for File Management …. I would like to be able to see how many documents I have, where they are … and what format they are …. how many other files I have > Music > videos > Apps …..

Also, would like an app to Find Duplicates, and delete the Duplicates ….

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
There's always the built-in File Explorer [called Windows Explorer in earlier versions of Windows], some recommend TreeSize and there's some Alternate file managers, both free and paid for, such as paid for Total Commander and FreeCommander [I use both on different computers]. Check with www.majorgeeks.com and the column listing on the left for other such managers. And there's the old Windows 3.xx File Manager that can be had free from the Store.

For duplicates check out Webminds Easy Duplicate Finder, has lots of options.

Reaction score
I like your question. For MIcrosoft...is there a merge function where we can merge two folders and end up with all the single files but where there is a duplicate file only the newest file with the same name is kept while the older duplicates are sent to waste basket?

Reaction score
For MIcrosoft
I'll take that as directed to Microsoft but we seldom know if anyone from that company is watching this company's site.

As for the question it must be kept in mind that since the early days of DOS/Disk Operating System it has be prohibited to have 2 or more files of the exact same name in the same Directory [old term] or Folder [new term with Win95], the dates, sizes, and other data is not considered. Files names must be at least one character different from any other file in the same Folder. You can have the same Folder as a sub-Folder as in C:\Test for the main and C:\Test\Test as a subFolder and subFolders can hold the same-named files as in the main Folder.

Some duplicate file finder programs can exclude the file name itself when searching using content and other features of the files as a criteria and can search any Folder and subFolder specified in the list to be searched.

Reaction score
I'll take that as directed to Microsoft but we seldom know if anyone from that company is watching this company's site.

As for the question it must be kept in mind that since the early days of DOS/Disk Operating System it has be prohibited to have 2 or more files of the exact same name in the same Directory [old term] or Folder [new term with Win95], the dates, sizes, and other data is not considered. Files names must be at least one character different from any other file in the same Folder. You can have the same Folder as a sub-Folder as in C:\Test for the main and C:\Test\Test as a subFolder and subFolders can hold the same-named files as in the main Folder.

Some duplicate file finder programs can exclude the file name itself when searching using content and other features of the files as a criteria and can search any Folder and subFolder specified in the list to be searched.

Thanks. I am familiar with what you explained. Here is an example of my need...I have music folders that have thousands of songs I have ripped from my CD collection etc. I have copies of the folders in multiple locations for security reasons (I have similar situation with photos). I would like to periodically merge say three or four folders in different locations into one that I can reposition back into those four locations. But the merge would include the original songs plus the most current by time stamp in the event there is a duplicate title. The dupes would go to the wast basket for review before deletion. Now my music folders stored in multiple locations would all be current.
In some ways this merge or “mashing” as I prefer to call it is more common with document processing when say I am in a location where I cannot get a WiFi signal (believe it or not there are still lots of those) and I am editing meeting notes that I normally keep in Dropbox or on another computer.
I would think MS would create a function like this that would allow some parameter controls for the user for these types of needs.

Ask a Question