File rights

Reaction score
ok, here goes... When I try to open certain files on my ext hard drive, I keep getting the message "you don't currently have permission to access this folder", then when I go to properties I get the message "you must have read permissions .....etc, click advanced to continue" on opening this I get "unable to display current owner" when I change owner (or try to) I get message" you do not have permission to read the contents of directory ..... Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you full control, all permissions will be replaced if you press yes" it then change access, but I have over 40 folders here and if I try to change the main folder I get "An error occurred while applying security info to G:\ etc, failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied" Any help as I am completely out of my depth ! thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF the "ext hard drive" contains only data you might want to take ownership at the root of the drive.
You can use this small utility from here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...ership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/
It'll add a take ownership command to your right click context menu and should cascade ownership down to child objects (sub-folders and files).
See if that works for you when you right click the root of the drive (G:\).
It'll take a while depending on how much is on the drive and.....
If the drive contains operating system files, you will probably get some errors.

Ask a Question