File system error 1073741511 with .exe

Reaction score
Daughter downloaded education software and doubleclicked. Window came up with File system error 1073741511. I went through usual steps i.e. update windows which keeps failing at version 1709. Then realised that many exe give the same error. ie cmd.exe if I want admin rights, msconfig, services etc. have run chkdsk. Chatted online with MS support got same error code on LMIrescue and DMST. Have booted in safe and re-installed windows and system restore all to no avail. Ran Malwarebytes showed nothing. Any ideas please

Regedit32

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum ahzulu13,

Have you run a System File Check at all?
  • Type command in your search bar
  • In the search results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • In the Command Prompt window type the following command:
Code:
SFC /f /r

Press Enter key to execute

Also, if you can provide some more information about the Education software your daughter downloaded. What is the software called, and where did she download it from?

Did she download the correct System typed file [e.g. 32-bit or 64-bit] to match your operating systems architecture?​

Reaction score
Hi, if try cmd with admin, I get the file system error window as with other exe. The software is leapfrog connect from their website. I don't think there's an option for 32 or 64 bit. There is a yellow and blue shield on the leapfrog icon if that helps

Reaction score
I think the yellow blue shield means there are security issues that need resolving.
If you are running Defender AV it is most likely blocking access to system files. If Leap Frog is an educational tool and you trust the website, you could turn off File Protection in Defender.

My Grandson had a similar issue, Defender blocked access to system files when he attempted to download a new driver for his graphics card. Turned OFF File Protection and the driver downloaded and installed with no problems.

Reaction score
ahzulu App & Browser control and Protected Files are two different settings.

Reaction score
Norton, where is file protection then? it is not one of the icons showing in Defender security centre

Reaction score
Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender > Open Security Centre > Virus & Threat Protection > click on Virus & threat protection settings > Controlled folder access you will see a pill switch Protected folders ON/OFF

Reaction score
Settings > Update & Security > Windows Defender > Open Security Centre > Virus & Threat Protection > click on Virus & threat protection settings > Controlled folder access you will see a pill switch Protected folders ON/OFF

there are two pill switches, one called real time protection and one called cloud based protection, if I switch either off it switches straight back on

Reaction score
Log ON as local Administrator to change Defender settings.
I did a little research on Leapfrog, users back on Win 7 were having similar problems with the app.

Reaction score
I would contact them and ask them for help. I have no idea myself; sorry!. :(

Ask a Question