system file error on restart

Reaction score
Twice when restarting computer I got a blue screen on restart with a message saying missing system files and giving different start options. First I tried using an installation disc to do an automatic system repair for Start did not work, tried using the restore point option and it said scan and repair disc as windows detected problems with C drive did the scan and repair option said nothing wrong but when trying to restore again said disc problem,
I then used F8 and option 4 started in safe mode logged in found a restore point and restored ok.
The second time as above except in safe when I tried to log in it did not recognise my windows password, I ould log in under my wife's account but since she is not an administrator when I tried to do a restore it again asked for my password and said wrong password. So i have a computer when starting normally shows a picture with the time no option for users to log in and mouse and keyboard do not work and when in safe mode only non administrators can log in

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try booting from the installation media again and using this technique to enable the otherwise hidded Administrator account
https://pureinfotech.com/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

From there you may be able to perform an in-place upgrade repair. That is to say...... upgrade it again, overtop of itself from within your current install, just double click setup.exe in the installation media. Just be sure to check the little box to get updates as part of the upgrade process.
That will generally keep all your programs, data, drivers and such safe, but.....
I would still create a disk image before going forward.

Neosmart has a pretty good article on it here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/
You can skip the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their recovery CDs and drill down to the meat of the article below.

Ask a Question