File transfer by cable between Win10 PCs.

Reaction score
Although moving files between PCs via USB stick is quite simple and easy to do, I wonder whether a direct USB cable connection between PCs would have some merit. I have experience of doing that through lap-link (PC-Linq) between Win98E and WinXP. Its driver/software is of 2003, and might not be suitable for 'now', but there is a 2018 post on the web [https://answers.informer.com/162205/is-pc-linq-really-working-with-windows-10] that claims it works for Win10, provided it is installed and run As Administrator, and that the compatibility mode is set (for WinXP). I have done that and when it failed, I ran the Troubleshooter wich came back with 'Mdi is incompatible'. Knowing that PCs often tell diagnostic lies, I figure the fault could be in the leads, the USB ports as well as in the software. I have not found an update to the 2003 software - despite the post being of this year 2021. I wonder if there is any authoritative statement out there about my ambition. I read that file-transfer can be done through ethernet cable, but having read up on that, have decided its a maresnest of self-invited trouble including disabled internet.

Reaction score
Check with LapLink, they have a software that came with an Ethernet cable, I believe it's a Cross-over, used to transfer data from an old computer to a new one. I found it better to have a NAS drive attached to the Router/Wireless Router to store and access files from any of my computers, Map the Public folder or any other on the drive.

Should have also mentioned the setup does not interfere with Internet access whether connecting Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you Big Horn - I deduce from your ethernet comment that the existing ethernet connections between modem and each PC will NOT do as 'an ethernet cable connection between PCs'.

Reaction score
The way such a network is set up is between a Router and computers, usually 4 Ethernet ports in the Router for devices then 1 Uplink port to a Modem which is the interface for the Internet. Or maybe a combo Modem/Router as used by cable/broadband or phoneline DSL. One of the 4 ports can connect by cable to a computer, a printer or a NAS drive, in my case I have a separate PoE Wireless DSL Modem, a Router and an 8 port Switch linked to the Router [5 computers 2 printers 2 NAS drives]. One port on the Router is for the Uplink port on the Switch. Some Routers will also have a USB port.

Reaction score
Once again, I take it that the existing arrangement of cables from PC to modem do NOT constitute an ethernet link between the PCs

Reaction score
Most times a Modem can accommodate a single computer which is why a Router is necessary if using 2 or more computers to gain Internet access. The Router usually has 1 Uplink port to a separate Modem with 4 Ethernet ports for computers Or a combination Router/Modem is furnished or bought to get both features in one device, depends upon the ISP. Those in my area have either a monthly fee or a purchase option, or the subscriber can buy their own elsewhere. In conclusion, you can use a cross-over cable between the Ethernet/NIC port on two computers but will not have Internet access. A Switch may allow one computer 'talking' to another but checking with the manufacture will show that. A Modem has always been necessary to get Internet service or maybe a cellphone service will have such a feature.

Ask a Question