File transfer from old to new computer

Reaction score
I just bought a new Dell computer. I created a disk image of the old Dell computer to an external drive, How do I move the disk image from the external drive to the new computer. Also I will not mind if I can be directed to a third party software that can do the job for me. I am using Windows 10 on both machines.

Thanks in advance

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing I would recommend is to also create a disk image of the new computer as well.
Moving or writing a disk image from one computer to another is not a typical use of an image and unless the two computers are identical, then a bare metal restore of an image is not likely to work optimally, if at all.
Your best bet would be to mount the image from the old computer and transfer critical data from there, onto the new computer in the appropriate containers.
Most imaging software provide a method for mounting the disk image so you can explorer / copy and paste the contents of your profile folder (docs, pictures, music, etc.,)

Reaction score
Well first of all an image is a complete copy of a system (files, apps and OS). Since your old Dell is from Dell it has a OEM Windows license that is tied to the machine. So legally you can't move an image to another machine. Plus you have to have a specific license from MS to be able to do images. No it's ok to do an image if your replacing a hard drive on the same machine but moving to another would violate the license agreement.

You can move your data to another machine and install apps but you also tied to the licesning of the software. Example Norton Security allows you to activate on 3 computers and it won't activate on a 4th and would require another license.

Ask a Question