SOLVED Finger print scanner

Reaction score
i have a hp probook 6460b laptop and it has a finger print scanner on it. it has a window 7 sticker on it but it is running windows 10. it is 8gb 64 bit system. can anyone help me figure out how to get thea scanner to work so i can turn it on when i need to have it for login and turn it off when i don't need it? kind of like the touch pad that i can turn off. at home i would like to have it off and when i have it away from home like in hotels i would like to ahve the scanner on for security.

can this machine run this scanner with win10 on it now? thanks bp.

Reaction score
I would check the HP support site to see if they have Windows 10 Drivers for that scanner if they do, you know what to do if they don't you might find one somewhere else I would check the hp support forum for other people that have your model whether they have found a solution.

Reaction score
i did go to the hp support forums and ask there thanks. no the device doesn't show active in the manager. but i may just be that no drivers are turned on for it. thanks.

i went to hp drivers and i didn't even see a driver for it. seems there should be a driver being this one has the hardware for it. unless the hardware is not plugged it. i can check and see if maybe someone unplugged it. took off the back cover just now and itis under the hd and i did not dig any deeper i did see a small card under the touchpad but did not move it just in case that is for another device and i don't need to break it.

in the device page will i be looking for biometric device? and in hp drivers will i be looking for biometric drivers?
thanks

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is the biometric device enabled in the BIOS? Press F10 on boot to enter the BIOS and then select "System Configuration" and check that "Fingerprint Device" is enabled.

You'll also need to install the Validity Fingerprint driver - here's the link to the x64 Windows 7 version, which may work in Windows 10:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp56001-56500/sp56395.exe

HP have a tech support page with a bit more information about the software they use. It's somewhat out of date, but should still apply. It may be worth a read:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c02519007

You may also need "HP ProtectTools Security Manager" to get it working. However, I can only find a Windows 7 download for this - but it may work:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp57001-57500/sp57498.exe

Reaction score
i do not se it there. but today i got another probook and the finger print scanner has a red lens over it so mine may be broken and then got disconnected so it doesn't show in anything. tomorrow i'm going to put my drive from this machine into that machine and see if i can get that scanner to go. if so then i found the reason it fails me now. then i will look for the sensor on ebay and replace this one so it works. i will update the results tomorrow. thanks

Reaction score
Ian, the HP protecttools security manager is not needed with Windows 10, only with Windows 7.

Corvairbob, you should have an entry in the device manager that may look similar to this (this is from my laptop):

2018-05-27_071840.jpg

Reaction score
grizzly i don't have that. i'm starting to think my laptop scanner is broken as i got another unit the exact same model and the scanner has a red lens on it mine doesn't have that. so maybe it broke and an it guy just disconnect it and they then never used it or it may just be broken or disconnected. today i'm going to switch my hd over to it and see if it works as good as mine and maybe that scanner will activare. i have all the software installed that was in this thread. thanks

Reaction score
that may be possible. I have a Toshiba laptop with a build in camera. All of a sudden it died and the camera is no longer recognized, neither on Windows 10 nor on the original Vista....
I guess, parts go bad after a while (even though the laptop is already 10 years old)...;);)

Reaction score
ok i discovered that laptop did not even have the scanner in it. it looks like it has one but it was a blank core. now i'm on the same model and it has the scanner as it show up but now i need to set it up. so i'm looking for help to set it up. this one also has the camera hurray. so if anyone can direct me to the setup screen unless i find it first. thanks

ok i find this scanner works for logging onto websites as well can i make it so it just lets me log onto the laptop and not websites if i do not want it to do so? i have chrome doing that for me now. maybe just my banking sites would be better? thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok i got it to work thanks for that help.

can anyone tell me will it work for more that one person can use this? i'm thinking if more than one person can log in then they go to the fingerprint and set it to them is this correct?

also can i use it now to log into my banks or do i now need some other software for that? thanks all for the help. it turned out the other laptop did not even have the scanner installed in it let along the software. thanks everyone that chipped in to help me out on this.

Ask a Question