For those who cannot wait for the Creators Update (a.k.a. Redstone 2)

Reaction score
I updated all 5 of my systems today with an .iso file I got from a link through the en-gb media creation tool. I made sure to check the specs. showed as en-US before I downloaded.

All installs went fine. I am seeing some glitches here and there. Getting rid of the IE tab for opening Edge was high on my priority list so it did not take long to find that. It took me a couple of times before I realized what was happening with the New Tab which sent you to a special page...

As someone mentioned, checking your settings would be a good idea. I am not sure why the PowerShell option is now a default setting to replace the Command Prompt in the Win+X menu..

It doesn't look like they improved Mail...

Reaction score
A fresh install does the same thing. As always, it asks at an early stage if the user wants to search for updates

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Not quite correct:
When I click on that link....it redirects me to the same page (this page we are on now) and then starts the automatic download of what ever is on that link. I never get to see what site that link goes to. So don't tell me that it's not doing what I say it's doing....show me the page it's supposed to go to.

Reaction score
When I click on that link....it redirects me to the same page (this page we are on now) and then starts the automatic download of what ever is on that link. I never get to see what site that link goes to. So don't tell me that it's not doing what I say it's doing....show me the page it's supposed to go to.

Sorry, I missunderstood. I thought you meant, it redirects you to this site:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
the link for the upgrade assistant on that site is outdated.
I apologize

Reaction score
Upgraded my desktop test machine to the new W10 Creator last night, seems its not all that bad, only thing is the old MS Games (again) no longer work, will need another "fix" for that. Other wise its running OK on an old 2.4 Q6600 Pentium with only 4g ram. May go ahead and do the lappy today, we'll see :)

edit: just figured out a "fix" to the games, only thing is the main icon doesn't populate the game icons, I had to select each game icon by exe to pin to my games section in the startup, but they do work :) while I wait for a full redone installer :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Image1.jpg
Got a question on this ISO that I burned to USB, usually you can "boot" the thing by selecting the boot option and its usually listed in "boot menu" , for some reason this one doesn't seem to be in the list of items to use to boot from like usual, but If I click the setup while on windows (from the USB folder) it starts the install/upgrade process. Before I remember you had to boot the thing from outside windows to get it to run.

Is there some change to the way these installers now work?

The "boot" folder is in the list of folders on the USB, so I'm not sure what the deal is, it does work though, I ran it on my desktop from within Windows.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Typically you would boot from the installation media to clean install the OS or to repair the OS in the case it wouldn't start.
Using Setup.exe from within Windows will start the in-place upgrade process.

The problem that I have found in cases where the USB media would not boot or wasn't available as a choice to boot from was always associated with the BIOS
UEFI will require fat32 boot media and needs to be created in such a fashion as to support UEFI / GPT / (secure boot)
The opposite for Legacy BIOS system, they are looking for NTFS as boot media

Rufus.JPG

Reaction score
Typically you would boot from the installation media to clean install the OS or to repair the OS in the case it wouldn't start.
Using Setup.exe from within Windows will start the in-place upgrade process.

The problem that I have found in cases where the USB media would not boot or wasn't available as a choice to boot from was always associated with the BIOS
UEFI will require fat32 boot media and needs to be created in such a fashion as to support UEFI / GPT / (secure boot)
The opposite for Legacy BIOS system, they are looking for NTFS as boot media

View attachment 5143
hy, yeah I burned it using RUFUS with the same settings, When I made anyone before it would always show up in the boot menu selection. I was just wondering about this one. Maybe I should re burn it to see, I dono.

Thanks for the reply, I'll re check it

Reaction score
Hmmm well I dono what the deal is but it seems for some reason ANY settings I used to re burn this thing still wouldn't let it show up in the selection menu. I re burned it all 3 ways. I also went into the boot settings (f10) and re set the boot sequence a couple different ways, I remember I had to do that with a friends computer one time to get the USB to boot before the DVD or HD. However nothing worked on my system.

So I just for the heck of it used my old Redstone USB stick, and guess what, it did show up as my Sandisk to choose to boot in the list of available media.

So the only other thing I can think, is my system doesn't like this USB brand, (smirk), funny though cause windows finds it right off when I insert it, and it brings up the files, it formats fine, and was used prior for just usual file movements. Have no errors showing about it either. So I dono, I guess I'll see about finding another Sandisk USB and try it again some other time. For now I can still click the setup exe and run it that way within windows, but that's not worth much if you need to do a clean install from outside of windows.

btw this ISO came from the Windows Creator Tool, I wonder if that makes any difference? Maybe I need to get one from another source.

Last edited:
Reaction score
OK, so it seems it was this USB drive (DataStickPRO by centon) that has this problem, but sure can't figure out why it won't show up in the boot menu once connected, even after reformatting and re-burning the ISO 3 times using different methods. This is the same on my desktop or my laptop, even using a different ISO.

I just re burned the ISO to a 4g stick ( the ISO from the Windows Media creation tool is just under 4g, the one D/L using the Windows ISO down loader is just over 4g) had to use a 8g last time. This time it does work and IS seen in the boot menu selection (F9). So there it is,, why this new 8g USB stick won't boot is beyond me, my SanDisk is also 8g that has W 10 Redstone that does work.

Anyway I guess it can happen, and just FYI for someone that may run into this.

Reaction score
I updated 2 of my 5 computers yesterday using Windows update. My laptop came up with a message that the Creators update was installed and was working in the background and would let me know when it was ready. That was over 24 hours ago and I haven't gotten any message that it was ready.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you happened to have revisited Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update
to see if it has completed and or a restart is pending?

Reaction score
Have you happened to have revisited Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update
to see if it has completed and or a restart is pending?
Yes I have and it doesn't show anything pending. The laptop seems to be running fine so I'm not sure what happened.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Probably why, I rarely if ever rely on Windows Update for these types of major upgrades.
I always just go get the ISO and use that to create the installation media and use that to perform the in-place upgrade or clean install.
Mainly because I always want to have such media on hand in the event I need to boot from it to perform any troubleshooting that might be required.

Reaction score
I updated 2 of my 5 computers yesterday using Windows update. My laptop came up with a message that the Creators update was installed and was working in the background and would let me know when it was ready. That was over 24 hours ago and I haven't gotten any message that it was ready.
Right click the start and, in RUN, type winver. If you have the OS installed, it should say the same as Grzzly's in the post above yours.

Reaction score
As Trouble said, I do mine as well. Getting the ISO to get the new upgrade installed and Download the Cumulative updates from the catalog and install then. Which KB to download is easy to find out, just look at the history:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4018124

All CU's for every version are listed there. All it takes is to download the most recent and one is up-to-date...

Ask a Question