Free alternatives to Windows Outlook

Reaction score
I have tried them all in the past., Always, eventually, returned to Outlook. One major factor which decided me was the more recent ability of Office 2016, to immediately open PDF documents for editing and then, if wished, saving them as Docx. At the time, through my interests and past work, I had reason to need efficient PDF editors - Office does it all. As I had Office anyway, Outlook naturally fell into place as a desktop client.
WLM, old fashioned but still satisfying most users.
The surprise was the EM client was free. Last time I played with it, it required payment..
I had a look at the page. As usual, my memory failed me. I already had a "free" licence, which was kindly resent to me.

Last edited:

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
The surprise was the EM client was free. Last time I played with it, it required payment..
EM client has always been free. Actually there is 2 , Free and Paid. The difference is: Free = 2 email accounts and Paid = unlimited accounts. I love EM client....it's as close you're going to get to outlook with it as far as look and feel goes. I've come really close to pulling the trigger on purchasing it.

http://www.emclient.com/pro-vs-free

T_J

Reaction score
I have WLM v2012 b16.4.3528.0331 and W10 Mail app on my 2012 Dell desktop.
I've been using W10 Mail app for months, SENT emails go to OUTBOX and don't leave. Anyone get W10 Mail app to actually SEND emails (I don't use MS login for PC, POP3 ISP)?
Does WLM 2012 get any security updates, is it safe to use? WLM 2012 works perfectly on my PC.
Thinking about switching to one of the free programs mentioned in above posts.
Thanks

Last edited:

T_J

Reaction score
Think I may have found an answer to one of my questions, in Wolfie second link above - 'older versions of Mail don’t support POP-based email accounts' (maybe?)

T_J

Reaction score
Thanks for replying, think I will try Thunderbird.
Since I have Office Starter 2010 (Dell installed for free on 2012 i3 desktop, Word & Excel), I won't be buying any Office products/subscriptions to get Outlook.

Reaction score
When Outlook express seized to work after upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 I was forced to look for a different email client and found Thunderbird as well. Have not used anything other after that and that over 10 years ago.
What I like in the Mozilla programs is that one can choose the location of the profile, can't that with outlook or any other MS email client. One does not need to use the default path C:\Users\{username}\Appdata\Roaming.
Mine is on D:\documents\Thunderbird\

Reaction score
What I like in the Mozilla programs is that one can choose the location of the profile, can't that with outlook or any other MS email client.
Actually I did with WLM and now the same with Thunderbird. I don't know about the other clients but WLM had the option to change mail folders. The option is a pain to find at times but it is there.

Reaction score
This is an old thread, but, now I have read it. In reply to Grizzly and Cliff.
Agreed you cannot change the profile path, but, you can make other profiles elsewhere and save them for future use.

Ask a Question