SOLVED "Go back to Windows 8.1" option is not shown

Reaction score
I have a Dell Vostro 200 and have successfully upgraded to W10 except for one thing - the connection speed to the WiFi has reduced to about 10% of previous. I have tried this upgrade before and got the same result a few months ago, but I wondered if the latest version of W10 might have improved the situation. I realize the Vostro is not supported by Dell on W10, and could not find any other advice on-line that solved the problem. Therefore I want to roll back to Windows 8.1 like I did the first time.

Going to Settings > Update and Security > Recovery all I get is the "Advanced startup" option, and not the Reset or Go Back to Windows 8.1 options. I only did the upgrade yesterday and the Windows.old and $WINDOWS.~BT folders are still there. I have tried rebooting, and even uninstalling the latest W10 update, but still do not get the Go Back option.

Can I do anything to make it go back to my previous W8.1?

Thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can I do anything to make it go back to my previous W8.1?
I've only heard of this problem in one other post on this forum and I can't find it to see if the member had any success in resolving the issue.
It sound a bit like there was a problem with the install, have you tried using the native System File Checker, just to see if it might produce any information?
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
sfc /scannow
hit enter and let it run
See if that finds anything wrong.

Reaction score
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type sfc /scannow.
Thanks Trouble for the advice. I have done as you say and unfortunately it found no problems. I rebooted anyway and the problem is still there.

I have also:
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth.
and none of these found any problems, and I have rebooted several times.

Have you, or anyone, any other ideas for me to try?
Thanks again.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The only other thing(s) I can think of trying would be to try booting from the installation media and see if the option to Go Back is present in the Advanced Troubleshooting options there.
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
OR
You may want to attempt an in-place upgrade / repair install. Upgrading Windows 10 by installing it over top of itself.
There is a pretty good article here https://neosmart.net/wiki/windows-10-repair-installation/ just ignore the first couple paragraphs where they are promoting their repair products and scroll down to the meat of the article.

This is a relatively simple and straight forward task and is generally non-destructive (all your data, programs, drivers, etc., should remain intact and unharmed), but.....
Personally I would still have a backup of my critical data, as well as a disk image, so I could recover in the event of some unforeseen problem.

Reaction score
Thanks for your help. I have in fact managed to restore to Windows 8.1 via "Go Back to the previous build" on the Advanced Troubleshooting as suggested by you above ( but I did it in the way suggested on this post on the MS Windows forum..http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ot-shown/85e8d6a5-9df4-4a5d-bbfc-3e09cc19afeb).

Thanks for your help. I shall not upgrade the same PC to W10 again, even though I have successfully upgrade three others I look after!

Ask a Question