HDD sata making strange sound , windows won't boot

Reaction score
Hi ,
My laptop do not boot after opening HDD case. I tried to install new windows , but I get notification ( Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail soon. If other hard disks are available, install Windows in another location ) . I uploaded small video via google drive where HDD is running , does it's have to sound like this ? if someone knows options how to solve this problem and can share that with me I would be very thankful.

Regedit32

Reaction score
That does sound like a hard drive in trouble.

This website has a bunch of sound bytes of various makes of hard drive to help you decide whether it is in fact failing / near death:

Would be worth your while comparing their sound bytes to the sound you are hearing.

Reaction score
I've had hard drives sound just like. Could be a bad read/write head. Unfortunately you'll most likely have to replace it. It's sounds like the disk is failing the SMART test, if you're getting that message on boot.

Reaction score
HDDs are usually assembled or worked on in "clean rooms", can't have any dust in them. I've taken a few apart and they have always had a screw in the middle of the cover that stabilized the spinning platters, removing that screw can upset the functions essentially destroying the HDD. It's a purposeful action in taking that cover off and results in a disaster. And that's a lot of the reason the label covers that screw, keep users away from it.

Reaction score
First i would - boot to safe mode -chkdsk c:\ /f say y then reboot
also several program i have used in the past - takes a bit of time but has saved old HDDs enough to CLONE. then you have nothing to loose.
best of luck.

Ask a Question