Internal HDD not connected to computer

Reaction score
I got an Asus Vivobook S14 X411UF. It has 2 drive, C drive is a SSD, D drive is a HDD. For a few times last week, the laptop shut down itself if I bumped it too strongly. And today, when I restart my laptop, my D Drive is gone, while C Drive is still intact. I checked Device Manager and can't find the D Drive. Also can't find in Disk Management. Then, I check to view hidden devices in Device Manager and managed to see that there is still the driver. When I checked for it, the status read:

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

I have tried opening the back of laptop and don't see any loose coonection. I tried shaking the laptop, and this time the audio is gone. Fortunately, using a headphone is ok. Is there any things that I can check so I can access my HDD and hear the sound again? I also attached the picture of the back of my laptop.

Attachments

• Asus Vivobook S14 back.jpg
    Asus Vivobook S14 back.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 246

Regedit32

Reaction score
Assuming your HDD is not faulty, the error you are getting has more to do with Windows being unable to communicate with the device itself.

You could consider verifying the controllers for your motherboard are sound and up to date. Drivers for your motherboard may be available on the manufacturers website.

You could also consider opening an elevated Command Prompt (i.e. Run as administrator) and perform a System File Check using the command SFC /SCANNOW

You said the cable appears to be connected - but disconnecting it and checking there are no damaged pins would be a good idea, then assuming no obvious signs of physical damage, you should reconnect it ensured the cable is connected soundly to both the hard drive and the connector on the motherboard. Possibly, replacing this cable would resolve your issues.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Regedit, thanks for the info. Recently the audio is back. I didn't do anything. But now it is off again. As for HDD still not connected. I did SFC /SCAN. Result is:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For offline
repairs, details are included in the log file provided by the /OFFLOGFILE flag.

And currently I'm updating all my drivers in Device Manager one by one.

Regedit32

Reaction score
When you're done updating drivers you could perform a Disc Image repair that will take that SFC log and try and repair issues:

Open an elevated Command Prompt and enter the following command:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Press Enter to execute. Note that will take a while to do - allow a minimum of 30 minutes and it may take longer.

Ask a Question