Headset microphone "not plugged in"

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a desktop after 10 years on laptops. I installed Overwatch and tried my headset (turtlebeach Ear Force 50X) but there was absolutely no sound coming from my mic on the headset. I tried windows voice recorder and nothing. I opened recording devices and tried to update drivers and still won't work. When I plug in, the Realtek asks what device is it and the option is for headphones. I didn't find one with headset. Then on recording devices on device manager, I see that the sound mixer or speakers are plugged in but it says "microphone not plugged in". Anyone experienced that? Thanks in advance

Reaction score
You may want to check to make sure the ports for you devices are configured as you believe. In the Realtek UI there could be a window which shows what each plug does. Make sure you have the correct one for the microphone.

Your headset does have a separate plug for the Microphone?

Reaction score
You may want to check to make sure the ports for you devices are configured as you believe. In the Realtek UI there could be a window which shows what each plug does. Make sure you have the correct one for the microphone.

Your headset does have a separate plug for the Microphone?
yeah so when I click on the option for the Realtek, it opens the checkbox for what are you plugging in and it has headphones, but no headset with mic. The headset has only one 3.5mm jack. I used in my laptop with no problems.

Reaction score
You new may have a combined audio port but those, in my experience, only show up on laptops. If there are separate input and output plugs you may need to get a splitter to have two plugs to put in the correct ports.

If you have a combined audio port you should be able to select headphones and use the Microphone. Just make sure the headphones are selected as the default output device and there may be two instances, one for headphones and one for headset.

You can attach pictures from the snipping tool in you use the option to upload a file.

Reaction score
HI trogdor,

you may also have a front and back microphone port as well as a switch on your mic, check what the default is via Start menu > Control Panel > Sound > Recording and choose the correct device!: :):)

microphone settings.JPG

Reaction score
I have this same issue going on for months, I've been getting the same answers and nothing's been working.

Reaction score
If your headset has one plug and the computer has separate headphone and microphone jacks, you probably need an adapter cable.

Ben

Last edited:

Ask a Question