HELP Password Reset

Reaction score
I created a password reset USB stick, some time ago.

November 2017, we moved house and since then I have been running on a laptop. Now, I really need to access some stuff on the old computer and I have forgotten my (local) password. Of course, as it was previously on a different router/server, it cannot go online.

So, I found the password reset USB stick and went to try the procedure. However, the procedure suggests that when faced with the initial login screen, there is a sub-choice to be clicked on for changing password. I do not see anything other than the password field.
I really do hope there is some brainy soul here that can help me out, or I will lose everything, including the vital stuff I currently need.

Reaction score
Of course, as it was previously on a different router/server, it cannot go online.
That is a problem, our church was given 4 Notebooks couple years ago that came out of a business, could not do anything with them as they were removed from the company's Network without first logging out. I had been able to do a clean install on previous Dell computers as I had the Win7 disc from Dell but these problem machines were IBM and Lenovo and would have had to buy software to make them usable, not cost-effective. Haven't seen them around since.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
there is a sub-choice to be clicked on for changing password.
I take it.... you are not seeing this??

Capture.PNG

You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD, http://imgburn.com/
or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, http://rufus.akeo.ie/
either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here

It's generally simple and straight forward if you follow the step by step instructions, including how to undo you changes after you're done.
I've used it before and I know that it works however I've since moved on to a third party commercial product

Ask a Question